From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <huoi3t$v0q$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, Todd <todd(a)invalid.com> wrote:

>> If the hard drive isn't spinning, anything that doesn't kill the human
>> carrying it won't kill it unless you go to the trouble of winging it against
>> the floor as hard as you can or running it over with a truck.
>>
>> If you're capable of unboxing a computer, then you can move a hard drive.
>> The unboxed computer actually is a lot more fragile.
>>

>When the bearing grease vaporizes with age, you can
>not change its physical location or the spindle will freeze
>up. I have had this happen too many times. :'(

Yes. I have at least two data points of moving computers (computers
that were left on all the time and in a single physical location) and
having the hard drives fail when the machine is powered up in the new
location.

Never knew (heard) about the "bearing grease" before, but it sounds
plausible. How do you know a) if the bearing grease has "vaporized"
(before the fact) and/or b) If that was in fact the cause of failure
(after the fact).

--
(This discussion group is about C, ...)

Wrong. It is only OCCASIONALLY a discussion group
about C; mostly, like most "discussion" groups, it is
off-topic Rorsharch [sic] revelations of the childhood
traumas of the participants...

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <huoi3t$v0q$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, Todd <todd(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>>> If the hard drive isn't spinning, anything that doesn't kill the human
>>> carrying it won't kill it unless you go to the trouble of winging it against
>>> the floor as hard as you can or running it over with a truck.
>>>
>>> If you're capable of unboxing a computer, then you can move a hard drive.
>>> The unboxed computer actually is a lot more fragile.
>>>
>> When the bearing grease vaporizes with age, you can
>> not change its physical location or the spindle will freeze
>> up. I have had this happen too many times. :'(
>
> Yes. I have at least two data points of moving computers (computers
> that were left on all the time and in a single physical location) and
> having the hard drives fail when the machine is powered up in the new
> location.
>
> Never knew (heard) about the "bearing grease" before, but it sounds
> plausible. How do you know a) if the bearing grease has "vaporized"
> (before the fact) and/or b) If that was in fact the cause of failure
> (after the fact).

put the drives in a warm oven, or sometimes a refridgerators, as a first
step to any disk that suddenly wont work.

A smart tap sometimes works, too.
From: AZ Nomad on
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:22:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack wrote:

>>> When the bearing grease vaporizes with age, you can
>>> not change its physical location or the spindle will freeze
>>> up. I have had this happen too many times. :'(
>>
>> Yes. I have at least two data points of moving computers (computers
>> that were left on all the time and in a single physical location) and
>> having the hard drives fail when the machine is powered up in the new
>> location.
>>
>> Never knew (heard) about the "bearing grease" before, but it sounds
>> plausible. How do you know a) if the bearing grease has "vaporized"
>> (before the fact) and/or b) If that was in fact the cause of failure
>> (after the fact).
>>
>put the drives in a warm oven, or sometimes a refridgerators, as a first
>step to any disk that suddenly wont work.

>A smart tap sometimes works, too.

Better yet, don't leave data without backups that you're not prepared
to lose forever.

From: Todd on

> put the drives in a warm oven, or sometimes a refridgerators, as a first
> step to any disk that suddenly wont work.
>
> A smart tap sometimes works, too.

I have tried a few *bad* word too (not an admission that I cuss),
did not work, but was strangely cathartic
From: Todd on
> Better yet, don't leave data without backups that you're not prepared
> to lose forever.

Especially since their tape drive broke