From: Midhun Girish on
The best option in windows would be xampp or wamp.... same goes true
with linux.....

Midhun Girish

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 17:24 +0530, Midhun Girish wrote:

> The best option in windows would be xampp or wamp.... same goes true
> with linux.....
>

> Midhun Girish
>

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Bastien Helders <eldroskandar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > The other day, I read an article that mentioned about a tool that would
> > permit to simulate a web environment for PHP, so that testing could be made
> > before uploading the page on the server. Unfortunately, I don't seem to find
> > the article again.
> >
> > So here am I with this question: What should I need to set my test
> > environment? I'm working on Windows, but I'm all ears for solution on Linux
> > systems.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Bastien

I'm not too sure that WAMP would be the best option for Linux :p

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Tom Calpin" on
>> Hi List,

>> The other day, I read an article that mentioned about a tool that would

>> permit to simulate a web environment for PHP, so that testing could be
made

>> before uploading the page on the server. Unfortunately, I don't seem to
find

>> the article again.

>> So here am I with this question: What should I need to set my test

>> environment? I'm working on Windows, but I'm all ears for solution on
Linux

>> systems.

>> Best Regards,

>> Bastien

A couple of IDEs have web servers built in (NuSphere PhpED is the only one I
can remember at the moment) which can generally be used to preview your
applications offline, although you might struggle to get it running if it
requires a database connection, depending on your hosting config (my hosting
will only allow local connections to the DB).

Alternatively, something like EasyPHP http://www.easyphp.org/ makes it very
easy to get a LAMP server set-up going on your machine, so you could drop
your app into the www folder and navigate to localhost on your web browser
to view it. Stick some dummy data in the db and you have a fully functional
version of your app running on your machine.

From: Rene Veerman on
cmon, just search for "ubuntu install lamp" via google..

or google for "download ubuntu", select the stable branch (karmic),
install it, and then type this into a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install apache2 mysql5 php5

from there, running LAMP development on linux should be a breeze for you.