From: Sam Wormley on
Beidou/Compass Satellite Achieves Geosynchronous Orbit

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/compass/news/beidoucompass-satellite-achieves-geosynchronous-orbit-10315
August 5, 2010

News courtesy of CANSPACE Listserve

The first Beidou/Compass inclined geosynchronous orbit (IGSO) satellite
has achieved geosynchronous orbit. The satellite was launched on July 31
from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in China's Sichuan province.

The inclination of the mean orbit is 55.06 degrees with eccentricity of
0.0036 � an essentially circular orbit. The mean east longitude of the
sub-satellite ground point is 115 degrees, 47 minutes. Here is a plot of
the repeating ground track:

http://www.gpsworld.com/files/gpsworld/nodes/2010/10315/beidou_igso1_ground_track.jpg

At its northern most sub-satellite latitudes, the satellite should be
visible from Europe and parts of North America permitting signal
analysis from facilities in those regions.

This is one of the first, if not the first, satellite to use such a
highly inclined circular geosynchronous orbit. The Solar Dynamics
Observatory satellite is in a circular IGSO with an inclination of 28
degrees. The IGSO satellites of Sirius Satellite Radio use highly
elliptical so-called "tundra orbits."

From: Inertial on
"Sam Wormley" wrote in message

>Beidou/Compass Satellite Achieves Geosynchronous Orbit

Just wondering .. what does the satellite do and why is such an orbit
required for it?

From: Sam Wormley on
On 8/10/10 7:36 PM, Inertial wrote:
> "Sam Wormley" wrote in message
>>
>> Beidou/Compass Satellite Achieves Geosynchronous Orbit
>
> Just wondering .. what does the satellite do and why is such an orbit
> required for it?

It's a Chinese navigation satellite and I have yet to digest
why it is in such an orbit... but I will... and report back.
-Sam

From: jimp on
In sci.physics Sam Wormley <swormley1(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Beidou/Compass Satellite Achieves Geosynchronous Orbit
>
> http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/compass/news/beidoucompass-satellite-achieves-geosynchronous-orbit-10315
> August 5, 2010
>
> News courtesy of CANSPACE Listserve
>
> The first Beidou/Compass inclined geosynchronous orbit (IGSO) satellite
> has achieved geosynchronous orbit. The satellite was launched on July 31
> from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in China's Sichuan province.
>
> The inclination of the mean orbit is 55.06 degrees with eccentricity of
> 0.0036 — an essentially circular orbit. The mean east longitude of the
> sub-satellite ground point is 115 degrees, 47 minutes. Here is a plot of
> the repeating ground track:
>
> http://www.gpsworld.com/files/gpsworld/nodes/2010/10315/beidou_igso1_ground_track.jpg
>
> At its northern most sub-satellite latitudes, the satellite should be
> visible from Europe and parts of North America permitting signal
> analysis from facilities in those regions.

Why would they care?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
From: jimp on
In sci.physics Inertial <relatively(a)rest.com> wrote:
> "Sam Wormley" wrote in message
>>
>>Beidou/Compass Satellite Achieves Geosynchronous Orbit
>
> Just wondering .. what does the satellite do and why is such an orbit
> required for it?

It is the Chinese version of GPS.

--
Jim Pennino