From: Bobby Edward on
I've been researching ORM/Tier/DAL code generators.

What do you recommend?

It seems that subsonic (free) and LLBLGen Pro (paid) are the most popular.

Any suggestions?

I would prefer that it works with MySQL as well as VB.NET. Also, being able
to see/edit the generated code is a plus.

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Bobby Edward" <bobby(a)nobody.com> wrote in message

> I've been researching ORM/Tier/DAL code generators.
>
> What do you recommend?
>
> It seems that subsonic (free) and LLBLGen Pro (paid) are the most popular.
>
> Any suggestions?

For the DAL part, I would recommend this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4C557C63-708F-4280-8F0C-637481C31718&displaylang=en

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Bobby Edward on

> For the DAL part, I would recommend this:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4C557C63-708F-4280-8F0C-637481C31718&displaylang=en

Thanks. This doesn't auto-generate the DAL though, correct? It just helps
you for good, clean, code reuse, etc...

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on

>> For the DAL part, I would recommend this:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4C557C63-708F-4280-8F0C-637481C31718&displaylang=en
>>

> Thanks. This doesn't auto-generate the DAL though, correct? It just
> helps you for good, clean, code reuse, etc...

I think you're getting confused between a DAL and a BOL...

The whole point of a DAL is that, once you've written it, you can simply
drop it unchanged into any future development - you don't "auto-generate" it
for every new project...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) on
LLBLGen, which you mentioned, supports MySQL. It is one of my favorite O/R
Mappers. I also am fond of Genome (www.genom-e.com), but I am not sure if it
supports MySQL or not. Deklarit also supports MySQL. These are all high end
generators that produce great code.

TierDeveloper also supports MySQL (I have not tried it, but I have played
around with their NCache product, which is solid).

If you like to stick with Open Source, NHibernate is an option, although it
is not particularly aimed at MySQL. Here is a blog entry:
http://geekswithblogs.net/pariam/archive/2006/07/26/86352.aspx

If you can template your map on one table, CodeSmith should be flexible
enough to work with. As Mark has alluded to, you can use any DAL you desire
with your objects and a templated code generator works nicely for this.
There are schema providers for MySQL for CodeSmith (Google search), although
they are older. I have used .NET Tiers with CodeSmith in the past. It does
not fit my current work, but may work for you.

Here is a post where the person used Wilson O/R Mapper with MySQL:
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?38,11958,11958

I have never tried this one, but it also supports MySQL out of the box:
http://www.vanatec.com/en

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA