From: asrrjs on
1What is the best practice approach for migrating existing ntext columns to
nvarchar(max) for both SQL 2005 and 2008? Is it as straightforward as
ALTERing the table (e.g. ALTER TABLE X ALTER COLUMN Y NVARCHAR(max)) ? Do I
need to perform an UPDATE on the altered columns SET COL = COL after the
ALTER table so that the data is correctly allocated? Etc...
Thanks.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
asrrjs (asrrjs(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> 1What is the best practice approach for migrating existing ntext columns
> to nvarchar(max) for both SQL 2005 and 2008? Is it as straightforward
> as ALTERing the table (e.g. ALTER TABLE X ALTER COLUMN Y NVARCHAR(max))
> ? Do I need to perform an UPDATE on the altered columns SET COL = COL
> after the ALTER table so that the data is correctly allocated? Etc...

The ALTER operation seems to be only a metadata operation. I don't see
why you would need an UPDATE. True, there are different defaults for
"text in row" for ntext and nvarchar(MAX), but I am not sure that I
see this as a compelling reason to shuffle the data around.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: