From: robin on
"Phred Phungus" <Phred(a)example.invalid> wrote in message news:80aurrFaofU1(a)mid.individual.net...

| I have no idea what motivates fortran's integer division. I'm sure it's
| stuff that happened 40 years ago, give or take a decade.

The most basic of the early computers provided at least integer arithmetic.
Later or as well, some also provided floating-point arithmetic.
Integer arithmetic is needed for subscript manipulations
and the like. Some problems are best solved using integers,
or provde a facility for truncating flosting-point to integer form.
Many commercial programs require integers or scaled fixed point,
where arithmetic produces exact results.