From: Patti Barden on
I am running XP SP3 on an OLD computer. My husband is giving me his fairly
new one, he
also uses XP.
I have a 1T external hard disk.

I am looking for advice on how to transfer my emails, os setup, data, etc.
to the new computer.
I have Acronis and Easeus programs if that would help.

Don't know where to begin - need simple instructions if possible.
Thank you, Patti

From: DL on
That might depend on what email program you are using.
For data you can simply copy

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:20:23 -0000, "Patti Barden"
<patti(a)freeola.com> wrote:

> I am running XP SP3 on an OLD computer. My husband is giving me his fairly
> new one, he
> also uses XP.
> I have a 1T external hard disk.
>
> I am looking for advice on how to transfer my emails, os setup, data, etc.
> to the new computer.

For help with e-mail, please tell us what e-mail program you use.

For data, simply copy it to the external drive, then connect the
external drive to the other computer and copy the data from it.

Regarding "os setup," in general you can not transfer that. You'll
need to set up the computer the way you want it.

Regarding etc., please tell us exactly what you are including within
"etc."

> I have Acronis and Easeus programs if that would help.
>
> Don't know where to begin - need simple instructions if possible.
> Thank you, Patti

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Tim Meddick on
I would have thought that the Win XP in-built "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
would have been a useful tool for you to use.

You should be able to find it your Start Menu under :

"All Programs" > "Accessories" > "System Tools" > "Files and Settings Transfer
Wizard"

....or else type : "migwiz.exe" into the "Run" box on the Start Menu.

This will transfer all your preferred Windows settings to the new PC.

If you are using Outlook Express the settings will be transferred automatically - but
in the "wizard", you will also need to manually add the file-type [.dbx] for the
email "folders" that appear within Outlook Express to be also moved over to the new
PC.

In addition to this, for folders and files that are stored on the 1Tb external
drive - all you really need to do is unplug it from the old PC, move it to the new PC
and plug it in again!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Anthony Buckland on

"Patti Barden" <patti(a)freeola.com> wrote in message
>I am running XP SP3 on an OLD computer. My husband is giving me his fairly
>new one, he
> also uses XP.
> I have a 1T external hard disk.
>
> I am looking for advice on how to transfer my emails, os setup, data, etc.
> to the new computer.
> I have Acronis and Easeus programs if that would help.
>
> Don't know where to begin - need simple instructions if possible.
> Thank you, Patti

By now, you've been told how to transfer your mail and setup.
Concerning your data, yes, you can just copy all the files,
but do the two of you use the same software, such as
word processors, graphics programs etc? If you use different
versions of the same program, or different programs, you may
have a compatability problem or even need to purchase a
different program. Yes, copy the data, but then make careful
tests to see if you can use it on the other machine, and deal
with problems you may have.