From: Tim Meddick on
Steve,
the OP is not talking about the XP Progress bar, but the behaviour that
between the end of the "XP Loading..." & pulsating bar and the "Welcome" screen
showing, if the registry key mentioned is set to something other than "none" (the
default) or just being set with no value, then Windows displays the "Default
wallpaper" for just a couple of seconds just before the Welcome screen appears.

On a fresh install, where this value has not been modified, a light-blue background
similar to the Welcome screen with no writing appears.

But, once the wallpaper for the first profile created, is set, then the value for :

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"="none"

....gets changed automatically from it's default to the same wallpaper.

Using this effect, it is possible to reset this value to display a sort of "splash
screen", as I said, between the end of the "Windows XP" & progress bar and the
appearance of the "Welcome" screen.

Instead of just saying "it's got nothing to do with wallpapers", why don't you check
out what I am saying for yourself?

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Tim Meddick on
Sorry, I got confused for a while there, I see you are the OP!

But, when you say "it has nothing to do with wallpapers" you are mistaken.

What causes the "blueback.bmp" image to be displayed, is the registry value for
"default wallpaper"!

That is; if you had not changed the value for this from "blueback.bmp", then, if you
created a new user profile, it would assign the new user with "bueblack.bmp" for
it's wallpaper.

That is the meaning of "default wallpaper"!

In fact, all the reg values under the key :

HKEY_USERS\.Default

....are used to generate new profiles.

So, by changing values under this reg-key, you can change how a brand new user
profile will look and behave...

==

From: Steve Swift on
Tim Meddick wrote:
> Sorry, I got confused for a while there, I see you are the OP!

You should have kept quiet! My original post has disappeared, and I
wasn't sure that I hadn't accidentally joined onto someone else's thread.

> But, when you say "it has nothing to do with wallpapers" you are
> mistaken.
> What causes the "blueback.bmp" image to be displayed, is the registry
> value for "default wallpaper"!

All I know is that when I deleted the registry key
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control
Panel\Desktop]"Wallpaper"="c:\\windows\\blueback.bmp" two things seemed
to happen:

1. The Blueback.bmp image no longer appeared (no surprise there)
2. The "Windows is starting" "page", which normally appears between the
"VGA" startup phase, and the Welcome Screen, started appearing again.

I'm not certain about #2. It may just be that my perception is awry as
the new PC that I have now does everything faster than my previous PC.

Whatever, I'm happy with the outcome, which is (as far as I can tell)
the appearance of the out-of-the box XP boot progress. Until my own
choice of wallpaper appears, that is.

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <uVGmTMpoKHA.1556(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Steve Swift
<steve.j.swift(a)gmail.com> writes:
[]
>All I know is that when I deleted the registry key
>[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control
>Panel\Desktop]"Wallpaper"="c:\\windows\\blueback.bmp" two things seemed
>to happen:
>
>1. The Blueback.bmp image no longer appeared (no surprise there)
>2. The "Windows is starting" "page", which normally appears between the
>"VGA" startup phase, and the Welcome Screen, started appearing again.
[]
What _was_ Blueblack.bmp - the company logo you didn't like? It seems
odd that a company should bother to install something that is only
visible for a few seconds; if they were going to impose themselves in
such a way, I'd have thought they'd have put is as the desktop
background, and locked users out of changing it.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"The first objective of any tyrant in Whitehall would be to make Parliament
utterly subservient to his will; and the next to overturn or diminish trial by
jury ..." Lord Devlin (http://www.holbornchambers.co.uk)
From: Steve Swift on
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> What _was_ Blueblack.bmp - the company logo you didn't like? It seems
> odd that a company should bother to install something that is only
> visible for a few seconds; if they were going to impose themselves in
> such a way, I'd have thought they'd have put is as the desktop
> background, and locked users out of changing it.

It's an IBM branded bitmap (as in Big Blue). It appeared early in the
boot process, and may well have been the default wallpaper, but since I
always chose my own desktop bitmap, it doesn't persist long, and doesn't
appear at all now. I can't explain my motive for wanting to remove it;
it just irritates me for some reason.

IBM doesn't actually lock down much at all on the systems that it ships
to us, just stuff like antivirus settings, and some firewall stuff. It's
a pleasant environment for the technically competent. And fiddlers like
me. There's nearly always a way around the restrictions anyway, if you
try hard enough. I even like the fact that we are still mostly on XP. At
my age, I like things that don't change. I got my new PC on January 6th,
to replace my previous 5-year old one, and was instantly right at home,
with all the skills/tricks that I've learned still working (not to
mention software that I'd purchased). I can now look forward to another
5 years honing those skills. It will be interesting to see what happens
when XP goes out of support. We purchased an extension to Win95 support
the last time we were in this situation.