From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Ron Shepard <ron-shepard(a)nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <hksv2c$1tg$1(a)naig.caltech.edu>,
> glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>> As a side note, exclusive OR is commonly abbreviated XOR,
>> and rarely, if ever, EOR.

> IEOR() was part of the milstd standard in 1979, and has been
> included in the fortran standard since f90. With that long
> pedigree, I would not call the notation "rare".

There are twice as many google hits for XOR as for EOR.

It looks like most hits for XOR are for exclusive or, but
few hits for EOR are. The first is Enhanced Oil Recovery,
and it goes down from there. Ethiopian Orphan Relief,
European Ordering Rules, Epoch of Reionization, End of Record,
Exams on Request, Epping Ongar Railway, Equal Opportunity Review...

Everything except Exclusive OR.

> The odd thing is that this is the second post today where I
> referenced milstd 1753.

That is odd.

I always thought that they were the IBM extensions needed
to write the Fortran H compiler. Unlike DEC, IBM never allowed
the use of Fortran logical operators on integer values.

-- glen
From: m_b_metcalf on
On Feb 10, 2:05 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> It would seem that the standard could have extended them, but
> I suppose I am not surprised that it didn't.

The Fortran 90 standard did extend them, to array-valued arguments.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf
From: robin on
| Ron Shepard <ron-shepard(a)nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
| > In article <hksv2c$1tg$1(a)naig.caltech.edu>,
| > glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
|
| >> As a side note, exclusive OR is commonly abbreviated XOR,
| >> and rarely, if ever, EOR.
|
| > IEOR() was part of the milstd standard in 1979, and has been
| > included in the fortran standard since f90. With that long
| > pedigree, I would not call the notation "rare".
|
| There are twice as many google hits for XOR as for EOR.
|
| It looks like most hits for XOR are for exclusive or, but
| few hits for EOR are. The first is Enhanced Oil Recovery,
| and it goes down from there. Ethiopian Orphan Relief,
| European Ordering Rules, Epoch of Reionization, End of Record,
| Exams on Request, Epping Ongar Railway, Equal Opportunity Review...
|
| Everything except Exclusive OR.

EOR stands for End Of Record.

From: robin on
"glen herrmannsfeldt" <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message news:hksv2c$1tg$1(a)naig.caltech.edu...

|I was just noticing that the bitwise logical functions IAND,
| IOR, and IEOR only allow for two arguments. It is not
| unusual to use these functions on more than one argument,

That's right, namely, two arguments.

(What's the sound of one hand clapping?)

| such as ORing, ANDing, or ExclusiveORing more than two values.

You can nest the operations for that.

From: robin on
"glen herrmannsfeldt" <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message news:hksv2c$1tg$1(a)naig.caltech.edu...

|I was just noticing that the bitwise logical functions IAND,
| IOR, and IEOR only allow for two arguments. It is not
| unusual to use these functions on more than one argument,

That's right, namely, they require at least 2 arguments!