From: Dylan Lukes on
I have an IRC bot I wrote, and I would like to have it so that in the
console window, the bottom one or two lines are always blank.

In other words, I want puts/print to output to the second line from the
bottom instead of the bottommost line.

I am aware that this could be done with curses/ncurses, but I have been
unable to find any decent documentation for them in Ruby.

If possible I would like to avoid the need to use (n)curses.

From: Martin DeMello on
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Dylan Lukes <revenantphoenix(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an IRC bot I wrote, and I would like to have it so that in the
> console window, the bottom one or two lines are always blank.
>
> In other words, I want puts/print to output to the second line from the
> bottom instead of the bottommost line.
>
> I am aware that this could be done with curses/ncurses, but I have been
> unable to find any decent documentation for them in Ruby.
>
> If possible I would like to avoid the need to use (n)curses.

May I ask why you want to avoid ncurses? It is, in general, a hard
problem to do this sort of thing portably across platforms and
terminals, and this is the exact problem curses is meant to solve.

martin