From: Jens Axboe on
On Tue, Nov 03 2009, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is V1 of the Block IO controller patches on top of 2.6.32-rc5.

Thanks for posting this Vivek. Can you rebase the patches on top of my
for-2.6.33 branch, there are a bigger-than-usual number of pending CFQ
patches in there so things won't apply directly.

If you do that, I'll pull these patches into testing branch and
hopefully merge it in soonish. This patchset looks a lot more mergeable,
thanks!

--
Jens Axboe

From: Vivek Goyal on
On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 08:43:33AM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 03 2009, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > This is V1 of the Block IO controller patches on top of 2.6.32-rc5.
>
> Thanks for posting this Vivek. Can you rebase the patches on top of my
> for-2.6.33 branch, there are a bigger-than-usual number of pending CFQ
> patches in there so things won't apply directly.
>
> If you do that, I'll pull these patches into testing branch and
> hopefully merge it in soonish. This patchset looks a lot more mergeable,
> thanks!

Thanks Jens. Sure, will rebase the patches on top of "for-2.6.33" branch
and repost.

Thanks
Vivek
From: Jeff Moyer on
Vivek Goyal <vgoyal(a)redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 02:12:19PM -0500, Jeff Moyer wrote:
>> Vivek Goyal <vgoyal(a)redhat.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > This is V1 of the Block IO controller patches on top of 2.6.32-rc5.
>> >
>> > A consolidated patch can be found here:
>> >
>> > http://people.redhat.com/vgoyal/io-controller/blkio-controller/blkio-controller-v1.patch
>>
>> Overall it looks good. Vivek, could you please run some benchmarks
>> against a vanilla kernel and then with your patch applied and cgroups
>> compiled in but not configured?
>>

> Sure I can. Do you have something specific in mind?

I don't, actually. iozone comes to mind as a simple test to setup and
run. Or you could run one or more of the fio sample job files. Really,
I just want to see if we're taking a huge performance hit so we can fix
that up before it's merged.

Thanks!
Jeff
From: Vivek Goyal on
On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 02:27:10PM -0500, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Vivek Goyal <vgoyal(a)redhat.com> writes:

> >> Overall it looks good. Vivek, could you please run some benchmarks
> >> against a vanilla kernel and then with your patch applied and cgroups
> >> compiled in but not configured?
> >>

> > Sure I can. Do you have something specific in mind?
>
> I don't, actually. iozone comes to mind as a simple test to setup and
> run. Or you could run one or more of the fio sample job files. Really,
> I just want to see if we're taking a huge performance hit so we can fix
> that up before it's merged.

Sure, will run some tests to see if this patchset is introducing any huge
performance regressions somewhere.

Thanks
Vivek
From: Vivek Goyal on