From: Mark Northup on
Hello,

I am new to this group. I notice a lot of Junk messages in here. Is there
someone who we can contact to report abuse, so that specific individuals
may be blocked from contributing because of abuse? I would not notify these
ab-users, I would just block their contributions. They probably would not
even notice.

The fact that there is so much of this abuse happening tells me there are
probably no controls available to prevent this.

From: Brian Cryer on
"Mark Northup" <mark(a)northupfamily.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am new to this group. I notice a lot of Junk messages in here. Is there
> someone who we can contact to report abuse, so that specific individuals
> may be blocked from contributing because of abuse? I would not notify
> these ab-users, I would just block their contributions. They probably
> would not even notice.
>
> The fact that there is so much of this abuse happening tells me there are
> probably no controls available to prevent this.

This newsgroup used to be "policed" (for want of a better word) by
Microsoft. Microsoft however are in the process of shutting down their
newsgroup servers, preferring people to use their forums instead. Because of
this they are no longer removing the junk and won't be interested in
removing any spam/junk postings :(

The best way of filtering out the junk is to change how you subscribe to
this group. If you sign up with eternal-september.org or giganews.com and
access the newsgroup via their servers rather than the microsoft ones then:
1. you will continue to be able to access the group after microsoft pull the
plug and 2. most of the junk will be filtered out so you won't see it.

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian