From: ""S.Çağlar Onur"" on
Hi,

We are observing boot failures [1] & [2] on some of our servers (Dell r410) with 2.6.27-stable kernels. I found following commit in upstream tree via a quick search (but I haven't tried it yet) so I don't know whether I'm on the right track or not.

Please let me know if anything else is needed...

commit d0af9eed5aa91b6b7b5049cae69e5ea956fd85c3
Author: Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha(a)intel.com>
Date: Wed Aug 19 18:05:36 2009 -0700

x86, pat/mtrr: Rendezvous all the cpus for MTRR/PAT init
[…]

[1] http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~caglar/2.6.27/idle=mwait.png
[2] http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~caglar/2.6.27/idle=poll.png

Best regards,
--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar(a)cs.princeton.edu>

From: ""S.Çağlar Onur"" on
Hi Greg,

On May 25, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Greg KH wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:10:28AM -0400, "S.Çağlar Onur" wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are observing boot failures [1] & [2] on some of our servers (Dell
>> r410) with 2.6.27-stable kernels. I found following commit in upstream
>> tree via a quick search (but I haven't tried it yet) so I don't know
>> whether I'm on the right track or not.
>>
>> Please let me know if anything else is needed...
>
> Has any .27 kernel worked on these machines? If so, can you narrow it
> down to the patch that caused the problem?

I don't think any .27 kernel worked on those machines before. But in any case I'll try (I don't have a physical access to those machines as they are located in China) an older .27 release to see.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Best regards,
--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar(a)cs.princeton.edu>

From: ""S.Çağlar Onur"" on
Hi Suresh,

On May 25, 2010, at 8:24 PM, Suresh Siddha wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 13:51 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:32:16PM -0400, "S.Çağlar Onur" wrote:
>>> Hi Greg,

>>> I don't think any .27 kernel worked on those machines before. But in
>>> any case I'll try (I don't have a physical access to those machines as
>>> they are located in China) an older .27 release to see.
>>
>> Ok, so it isn't a regression, which is what I want to know.
>>
>> New hardware like this, probably will only work on newer kernel
>> versions, so please use those instead :)
>
> I can't think of any known issues in 2.6.27 that can lead to this kind
> of boot failure on WSM-EP. Caglar, It will be nice if you can do git
> bisect between working and non-working kernels.

Sure, I'll try to boot those with plain 2.6.27 to see but please note that it's going to be little time consuming. For each one I have to create a custom boot image for them to download and test (a.k.a. don't expect to hear from me soon :))

> thanks,
> suresh

Best regards,
--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar(a)cs.princeton.edu>

From: Youquan Song on
> > I can't think of any known issues in 2.6.27 that can lead to this kind
> > of boot failure on WSM-EP. Caglar, It will be nice if you can do git
> > bisect between working and non-working kernels.
>
> Sure, I'll try to boot those with plain 2.6.27 to see but please note that it's going to be little time consuming. For each one I have to create a custom boot image for them to download and test (a.k.a. don't expect to hear from me soon :))

Hi Caglar,

What's the microcode version? Get by "dmesg | grep microcode" if you
success boot other version of kernel.
Can you try to disable C-state(C6) in BIOS before your boot 2.6.27?

Thanks
-Youquan
From: ""S.Çağlar Onur"" on
Hi Suresh,

On May 25, 2010, at 8:24 PM, Suresh Siddha wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 13:51 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:32:16PM -0400, "S.Çağlar Onur" wrote:
>>> Hi Greg,

>>> I don't think any .27 kernel worked on those machines before. But in
>>> any case I'll try (I don't have a physical access to those machines as
>>> they are located in China) an older .27 release to see.
>>
>> Ok, so it isn't a regression, which is what I want to know.
>>
>> New hardware like this, probably will only work on newer kernel
>> versions, so please use those instead :)
>
> I can't think of any known issues in 2.6.27 that can lead to this kind
> of boot failure on WSM-EP. Caglar, It will be nice if you can do git
> bisect between working and non-working kernels.

Neither 2.6.27 nor 2.6.27.45 not able to boot those servers, according to the on-site admins the boot stuck at following stage[1].

> thanks,
> suresh

[1] http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~caglar/2.6.27/45.png

Best regards,
--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar(a)cs.princeton.edu>