From: "Masao Garcia" on
Hello,

I have set up an Ubuntu 8.04 postfix relay that relays mail to and from my
Exchange server. Everything seems to work well enough except that our users
do not receive bounce replies when they send mail to an invalid address
outside our domain. If I tail /var/log/mail.log, I can see the destination
e-mail server give an error about the recipient not being valid on the
server, but the user doesn't get an e-mail saying the recipient doesn't
exist. I can provide config files but which ones should I be focusing on?
Thanks.

From: Wietse Venema on
Masao Garcia:
> Hello,
>
> I have set up an Ubuntu 8.04 postfix relay that relays mail to and from my
> Exchange server. Everything seems to work well enough except that our users
> do not receive bounce replies when they send mail to an invalid address
> outside our domain. If I tail /var/log/mail.log, I can see the destination
> e-mail server give an error about the recipient not being valid on the
> server, but the user doesn't get an e-mail saying the recipient doesn't
> exist. I can provide config files but which ones should I be focusing on?

If the remote machine does not say that the recipient is bad WHILE
Postfix delivers mail,

and

the remote machine does not send a bounce message AFTER Postfix
delivers mail,

then what error report should Postfix to deliver to the sender?

Wietse

From: "Masao Garcia" on
Wietse,

Maybe I should re-phrase my question. On my Exchange server, if I e-mail an
invalid address, it will e-mail be back and tell me that the recipient does
not exist. When I e-mail an invalid address using a web/imap/pop hosting
provider, I get an e-mail telling me the recipient is not valid. I'm under
the assumption that my Postfix server is not allowing a bounce to come back,
but I do not know if it's a configuration issue or if it's just the way
things work. I've been told by someone knowledgeable with e-mail servers
that it should be possible to get a reply back saying the recipient is
invalid so I'm thinking it's a configuration issue. Are you telling me it's
just not possible?

From: Wietse Venema on
Masao Garcia:
> Wietse,
>
> Maybe I should re-phrase my question. On my Exchange server, if I e-mail an
> invalid address, it will e-mail be back and tell me that the recipient does
> not exist. When I e-mail an invalid address using a web/imap/pop hosting
> provider, I get an e-mail telling me the recipient is not valid. I'm under
> the assumption that my Postfix server is not allowing a bounce to come back,
> but I do not know if it's a configuration issue or if it's just the way
> things work. I've been told by someone knowledgeable with e-mail servers
> that it should be possible to get a reply back saying the recipient is
> invalid so I'm thinking it's a configuration issue. Are you telling me it's
> just not possible?

Instead of speculating that "Postfix does not allow bounces to come
back", all the evidence you need is in the logfile. Postfix logs
ALL mail delivery attempts, including the attempts that fail.

First, does Postfix actually RECEIVE the mail from the user? If it
doesn't receive the mail, then obviously it also cannot deliver it.

Does the remote server say that the recipient is bad WHILE Postfix
delivers mail? Then, Postfix should SEND a bounce message to the
sender, and if it does not, you need to provide the evidence.

Does the remote server find out that the recipient is bad AFTER
Postfix delivers mail? Then, Postfix should RECIEVE a bounce message
from the remote server, and if it does not, then you need to talk
to the operator of the remote server.

Wietse

From: Wolfgang Zeikat on
Wietse Venema wrote:

> Instead of speculating that "Postfix does not allow bounces to come
> back", all the evidence you need is in the logfile. Postfix logs
> ALL mail delivery attempts, including the attempts that fail.

"Bounces" normally have an "empty" envelope sender address which should
be logged as

from=<>

Masao, maybe this helps you to find significant entries in your logs.

Regards and Happy Easter,

wolfgang