From: John Murphy on
Given Behan's background, in Borstal at age 15 for IRA activities, The
Captains and the Kings, is an astonishingly sensitve, beautiful and
gently mocking poem. Estranged from his club and his cricket and his
familiar and reassuring surroundings, can their ever have been an
Englishman who would not have drawn deep consolation from it,
cherished its sweet irony, and shed a tear or two. I think not! It
strikes me that, on the whole, he thought the export of port and
Christian ethics a good idea, though one gathers he had preference for
porter! Gifted? Beyond belief! I do not, though, think him to have
been a particulary good singer; less heard from the better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_lIGJRtZU&NR=1
Joyce annoys me a bit, only out of envy! He reminds me how well I do
not write. Lewis Mumford thought (http://www.nd.edu/~ehalton/
mumfordbio.html) that a city that does not know its own name is no
city at all. In Ulysses, Bloom, Stephen and Molly, who see clearly
now, bring to Dublin, a day in its life. Collectively, I think them to
be HCE (Harold Chimpden Earwicker or Here Comes Everybody - of
Finnegan's Wake. However, I am too analytical to be very literate.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10uijZKnc-Y&feature=related
[You must download the rest for yourselves! Well worth it, I think.]
Harbinger.

PS: I write to the science and maths groups because they are ignorant
scum and need tobe be edicated!
From: Frederick Williams on
John Murphy wrote:

> [snip]
>
> PS: I write to the science and maths groups because they are ignorant
> scum and need tobe be edicated!

Where would we be without people such as yourself?

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.