From: Bráulio Bezerra on
Hi,

Virtually every kid in Brazil learns to divide polynomials by one of
the form (x - a) using the Briot-Ruffini method. It is just a long
division method, but works a little faster since someone writes only
the coefficients. It also has numerical applications, since it can be
used to find the value of a polynomial and its derivatives of all
orders at some given point, in a particularly efficient way. This is
done viewing the polynomial as (((a_4x + a_3) x + a_2) x + a_1 ) x +
a_0, for example.

The problem is that this method is only mentioned by Brazilian people
in books, on the Internet, everywhere. So I don't know if this method
is so obvious that it commonly deserves no mention; if this is just a
trend we have in Brazilian education; or if it has another name
outside Brazil.

Any thoughts, anyone?
From: Bráulio Bezerra on
Replying to myself, but not completely.

I've found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruffini%27s_rule. This is
a start, at least. There is also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horner_scheme,
which deals with derivatives of polynomials.

But there's no mention of someone called Briot.

From: G. A. Edgar on
In article
<59c30936-78bb-4dd4-8801-f9c6c2ea09e5(a)z24g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Br�ulio Bezerra <brauliobezerra(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Virtually every kid in Brazil learns to divide polynomials by one of
> the form (x - a) using the Briot-Ruffini method. It is just a long
> division method, but works a little faster since someone writes only
> the coefficients. It also has numerical applications, since it can be
> used to find the value of a polynomial and its derivatives of all
> orders at some given point, in a particularly efficient way. This is
> done viewing the polynomial as (((a_4x + a_3) x + a_2) x + a_1 ) x +
> a_0, for example.
>
> The problem is that this method is only mentioned by Brazilian people
> in books, on the Internet, everywhere. So I don't know if this method
> is so obvious that it commonly deserves no mention; if this is just a
> trend we have in Brazilian education; or if it has another name
> outside Brazil.

I would say: "synthetic division"

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SyntheticDivision.html

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/
From: Chip Eastham on
On Sep 13, 1:14 pm, "G. A. Edgar" <ed...(a)math.ohio-state.edu.invalid>
wrote:
> In article
> <59c30936-78bb-4dd4-8801-f9c6c2ea0...(a)z24g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>

> Bráulio Bezerra <brauliobeze...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Virtually every kid in Brazil learns to divide polynomials by one of
> > the form (x - a) using the Briot-Ruffini method. It is just a long
> > division method, but works a little faster since someone writes only
> > the coefficients. It also has numerical applications, since it can be
> > used to find the value of a polynomial and its derivatives of all
> > orders at some given point, in a particularly efficient way. This is
> > done viewing the polynomial as (((a_4x + a_3) x + a_2) x + a_1 ) x +
> > a_0, for example.
>
> > The problem is that this method is only mentioned by Brazilian people
> > in books, on the Internet, everywhere. So I don't know if this method
> > is so obvious that it commonly deserves no mention; if this is just a
> > trend we have in Brazilian education; or if it has another name
> > outside Brazil.
>
> I would say: "synthetic division"
>
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SyntheticDivision.html

That's the term I'd use. Note that Horner's method
for evaluating polynomial p(X) at X = a uses the
same intermediate computations as synthetic division
of p(X) by X-a, but retains only the "remainder" r:

p(X) = (X-a)q(X) + r

regards, chip
From: Bill Dubuque on
Br�ulio Bezerra <brauliobezerra(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Virtually every kid in Brazil learns to divide polynomials by one of
> the form (x - a) using the Briot-Ruffini method. It is just a long
> division method, but works a little faster since someone writes only
> the coefficients. It also has numerical applications, since it can be
> used to find the value of a polynomial and its derivatives of all
> orders at some given point, in a particularly efficient way. This is
> done viewing the polynomial as (((a_4x + a_3) x + a_2) x + a_1 ) x +
> a_0, for example.
>
> The problem is that this method is only mentioned by Brazilian people
> in books, on the Internet, everywhere. So I don't know if this method
> is so obvious that it commonly deserves no mention; if this is just a
> trend we have in Brazilian education; or if it has another name
> outside Brazil.
>
> Any thoughts, anyone?

Google "synthetic division". Like many manual computational techniques
(e.g. sqrt by hand) it's gone out of fashion in the modern computer era.
But a Google Books search shows that it still occurs in various places.

Perhaps you might enjoy one of my old observations:

Note that the Horner poly form is also useful elsewhere, e.g.
powering by repeated squaring arises from rewriting the expt
as a Horner poly in radix 2, e.g. as below, to compute x^101

1 1 0 0 1 0 1 = 101 in binary notation
= 1)2+1)2+0)2+0)2+1)2+0)2+1 = 101 as binary Horner poly
2 2 2 2 2 2 101
-> x) x) ) ) x) ) x = x via repeated squaring

So here we see examples where it is advantageous to not apply
the distributive law to fully expand a poly to normal form.
Do you know other such examples?

--Bill Dubuque