From: Grant Edwards on
I've noticed recently that a lot of the "refernces" and
"in-reply-to" headers in c.l.p are broken, resulting in the
inability to move from a child to a parent in a tree.

For example in a recent reply (subejct: os.fdopen() issue in
Python 3.1?), the references and in-reply-to headers both
contained:

1267539898.477222.7.camel(a)necropolis

However, the article replied to has a message-ID header of

mailman.110.1267539885.23598.python-list(a)python.org

I don't see 1267539898.477222.7.camel(a)necropolis anywhere in
the headers of the referrant.

Is something broken in the mail<->news gateway?

Or is it just individual news/mail clients that are broken?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I own seven-eighths of
at all the artists in downtown
From: Ben Finney on
Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> Or is it just individual news/mail clients that are broken?

This, I believe. Many clients mess up the References and In-Reply-To
fields, in the face of many years of complaint to the vendors.

Most free-software clients get it right, AFAICT.

--
\ “Contentment is a pearl of great price, and whosoever procures |
`\ it at the expense of ten thousand desires makes a wise and |
From: Aahz on
In article <hmjiuc$7pk$1(a)reader1.panix.com>,
Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I've noticed recently that a lot of the "refernces" and
>"in-reply-to" headers in c.l.p are broken, resulting in the
>inability to move from a child to a parent in a tree.

One issue with the mail/news gateway is that (unless it's been fixed)
newsreaders need to thread properly).
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Pages: 1