From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

>> Linda wrote:
>>> <input type="button" value="Back" onClick="javascript:
>>> history.go(-1)">
>>
>> Don't use javascript URIs.
>> <http://jibbering.com/faq/#javascriptURI>
>
> Sorry, that was not a javascript uri you used; but a meaningless label.

It is not always considered a meaningless label (and might even be
considered a syntax error), but given JScript being the default in MSHTML,
and its VBScript not being universally supported client-side, the label
should not be necessary to use.

> You don't need that label

There is not enough information in the posting to support that assumption.

> and if you use a real link (as I suggested in my previous message) you're
> much better off.

ACK

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
From: Denis McMahon on
On 09/08/10 16:06, Linda wrote:
> OK. I get it that no one here thinks that this is a good idea. But,
> without going into a long description of the "why" I want to do this,
> is there a way to return to the top of an unknown page with a link or
> with a button rather than to the point of the link on the referring
> page?

I think it's a feature of the way some browsers handle cached pages.

I suspect that some browsers remember where on the page the user was
looking when they navigated away from the page, and if they return to
the page eg using the back button, it takes them back to where they were.

Whether it can be over-ridden or not by anything you do server-side or
in the html I have no idea, although expiring the page might help.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: Felix Palmen on
* Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcmahon(a)googlemail.com>:
> On 09/08/10 16:06, Linda wrote:
>> OK. I get it that no one here thinks that this is a good idea. But,
>> without going into a long description of the "why" I want to do this,
>> is there a way to return to the top of an unknown page with a link or
>> with a button rather than to the point of the link on the referring
>> page?
>
> I suspect that some browsers remember where on the page the user was
> looking when they navigated away from the page, and if they return to
> the page eg using the back button, it takes them back to where they were.

Right, and in my experience, this feature is canceled by any manual
scrolling action of the user, so /maybe/ a window.scrollTo(0,0) would
cancel it, too. Still that means disabling a useful feature...

Regards, Felix

--
Felix Palmen (Zirias) + [PGP] Felix Palmen <felix(a)palmen-it.de>
web: http://palmen-it.de/ | http://palmen-it.de/pub.txt
From: Garrett Smith on
On 2010-08-09 08:06 AM, Linda wrote:
> OK. I get it that no one here thinks that this is a good idea. But,
> without going into a long description of the "why" I want to do this,
> is there a way to return to the top of an unknown page with a link or
> with a button rather than to the point of the link on the referring
> page?

A fragment identifier is the way to do that:

For help on posting and replying, I suggest you read:
<http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>
--
Garrett
From: Linda on
On Aug 9, 5:58 pm, Garrett Smith wrote:

> A fragment identifier is the way to do that:

This looked interesting. I tried using it as written but it did not
work as I expected. I am using Safari 5.0.1 on Mac OS X. When I
click on the Go Back link, it opens Finder to the root directory on
the Mac.

Linda