From: Дамјан Георгиевски on
> Rather than writing a windowing toolkit from the low-level, I would
> rather like to see some wrapper for existing windowing toolkit which
> uses more pythonic idioms.

Isn't PyGUI exactly that?
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

--
дамјан ((( http://damjan.softver.org.mk/ )))

Spammers scratch here with a diamond to find my address:

From: Tim Diels on
On 20/04/2010 20:53, Lie Ryan wrote:
> On 04/19/10 03:06, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
>> On 04/18/10 12:49, Tim Diels wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was thinking of writing a GUI toolkit from scratch using a basic '2D
>>> library'. I have already come across the Widget Construction Kit.
>>>
>>> My main question is: Could I build a GUI toolkit of reasonable
>>> performance with the Widget Construction Kit, would it still feel more
>>> or less lightweight? By reasonable I mean that the user wouldn't think
>>> of the interface as being slow or unresponsive.
>>>
>>> I've also thought of using pyglet to build widgets with, but this would
>>> seem to be overkill. As a side question: by using opengl, the work would
>>> be delegated to the GPU rather than the CPU; is this always a good
>>> thing, or does it have downsides as well (performance, power usage, ...)?
>>>
>>> Are there any other libraries that may be of interest to me?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> It probably depends on how low level you want to go, I have pondered
>> about the possibility myself to have an all python(ic) gui toolkit,
>> capable of writing a (x11) windowing manager itself with.
>> But I decided that using tkinter and just live with its rough corners is
>> more bang for the buck for me than to reimplement tkinter badly.
>>

> Rather than writing a windowing toolkit from the low-level, I would
> rather like to see some wrapper for existing windowing toolkit which
> uses more pythonic idioms.
>
> Most popular python GUI toolkit currently in use are only a simple thin
> wrapper over the library they're wrapping and exposes a lot of the
> design considerations of the language that the toolkit was originally
> written in. Yes, even Tkinter that comes with the standard lib is a hack
> on top of python and looks much more Tcl-ish than pythonic.
>
> I have always had the idea of writing a windowing toolkit wrapper that
> creatively uses python features for maximum expressiveness (e.g.
> decorator, with-statement, for-each), but never got the time to write
> anything like that.

When (or if) I'd finish this low-level gui toolkit, I'd incorporate it
into my original plans, which were: writing a library that provides the
programmer with 1 API, yet can display the GUI in a terminal (curses),
on the desktop(X/win32/...) or in your web browser (DHTML). Terminal
support would likely be very limited though.

I think I'll go ahead and try to write a wrapper around pyglet and start
writing some basic widgets.