From: Lars Uffmann on
Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> This is because the real wx-config is created by configure. If you don't
> use configure for building wx, you can't use wx-config. Of course, if you
> do have MSYS anyhow nothing prevents you from using configure to build wx
> (instead of "make -f makefile.gcc").

Thanks a lot, that's what I get for following directions too closely and
not thinking of the obvious thing to do :)
../configure and make worked just fine.

Now the only problem I have is that it seems the backticks are not
supported with eclipse & MinGW g++
Namely, g++ `wx-config --cxxflags` does not expand the wx-config, but
instead complains about
g++: `wx-config: No such file or directory
cc1plus.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-fcxxflags`"

Solution(?): I just played around a bit and found that I can just use a
different toolchain - Using the "Linux GCC"-toolchain instead of "MinGW
GCC", my build process accepts the backticks and produces an executable
just as it should.

Does anyone happen to know of any troubles I am going to be running
into, using the Linux GCC toolchain under WinXP SP2 & Eclipse &
wxWidgets? I am ignorant of the differences between the two, except for
that one appears to be working with backticks and the other doesn't.
From my understanding, Linux GCC toolchain would be the very same GCC
compiler that I installed with MinGW (for MSYS doesn't come with it's
own), and the only difference would be that Eclipse invokes it using the
MSYS shell instead of via mingw32-gcc.exe. Or am I missing something?

Best Regards,

Lars
From: Lars Uffmann on
One other Issue:

I found that the configure.in script uses the variable
wx_top_builddir="`pwd`"
to later store the lib files in
$(wx_top_builddir)/lib
which means that
./configure --prefix=/mingw
or
./configure --bindir=/mingw/bin --libdir=mingw/lib
is basically ignored (for the lib output folder).

Do I have to mess with the wx_top_builddir variable in the configure
script? And may I, or is that going to cause more problems?

I would like to not mess with the Makefile but rather with the original
configuration file, so I was thinking along the lines of (in MSYS shell)

cd /mingw/wxWidgets-2.8.7
sed 's/LIBDIRNAME = $(wx_top_builddir)\/lib/LIBDIRNAME = @libdir@/g'
Makefile.in > Makefile.in.new
mv Makefile.in.new Makefile.in
../configure --prefix=/mingw

Or is Makefile.in the wrong file to edit?

Thanks for any feedback!

Lars
From: Milan Babuskov on
Lars Uffmann wrote:
> I found that the configure.in script uses the variable
> wx_top_builddir="`pwd`"
> to later store the lib files in
> $(wx_top_builddir)/lib
> which means that
> ./configure --prefix=/mingw
> or
> ./configure --bindir=/mingw/bin --libdir=mingw/lib
> is basically ignored (for the lib output folder).

I don't know about other settings, but I believe --prefix is used for
'make install', not for 'make'. SO when you do 'make install' it copies
files from `pwd`/lib to prefix/lib.

--
Milan Babuskov
http://www.flamerobin.org
From: Lars Uffmann on
Milan Babuskov wrote:
> I don't know about other settings, but I believe --prefix is used for
> 'make install', not for 'make'. SO when you do 'make install' it copies
> files from `pwd`/lib to prefix/lib.

Of course. I feel stupid now :/

Thanks for pointing that out!

Best Regards,