From: Ulrich Eckhardt on
Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> On 21 jan, 10:43, Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homep...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> It just happens that some company that is involved in the Java
>> business provides the platform implementation that has a GUI library
>> (and battery) included.
>> Interestingly, this is also true for C++. ;-)
>
> What company exactly is involved in C++ and provides a platform-
> independent GUI library?

He didn't say independent! ;)

With that, it's clear that this is a reference to an OS vendor that also
supplies C++ compilers which in turn come with a GUI library, i.e.
Microsoft, VC++ and MFC.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

From: Thomas Richter on
Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> On 22 Sty, 03:06, Mathias Gaunard <loufo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> It just happens that some company that is involved in the Java
>>> business provides the platform implementation that has a GUI library
>>> (and battery) included.
>>> Interestingly, this is also true for C++. ;-)
>> What company exactly is involved in C++ and provides a platform-
>> independent GUI library?
>
> http://qt.nokia.com/
> http://www.ultimatepp.org/
>
> I'm sure there are others, but for the sake of argument these two
> should suffice.

Oh, definitely. However, these aren't part of the C++ standard in the
same sense swing is part of the Java standard. Of course, the latter is
to my knowledge not an ISO standard as C++ is, but for a user that
matters little. C++ *does* IMHO have an acceptance problem for writing
easily portable GUIs for this reason.

So long,
Thomas

From: Martin B. on
Alex Strickland wrote:
> (...)
> To all/any
>
> In a related vein, I have a lot of old Borland code to upgrade/rewrite.
> I have
> recently started trying to use the standard library much more, and I
> sure am
> happy to swap all those "new []" for "vector". Hand in hand I would like
> to use
> std::string more.
>
> So there is tons of code using AnsiString which seems quite different to
> std::string. If I upgrade to the latest version there will be tons of
> code which
> should probably change to UnicodeString which seems similarly unrelated to
> std::wstring.
>
> I thought I'd look at qt, and what do I find, QString! An even quicker
> look at
> U++ and I find String.
>
> What is the problem with std::string (or std::wstring) and GUI libraries?

The real question is: "What is the problem with std::string (or
std::wstring)"?
Somehow it seems that std::wstring is lacking certain features (be it
actual features, be it usability). Rather than add a few utility
functions to use std::wstring, deveolpers seems to prefer writing their
own string class.
Add to it that GUI libraries often have a certain Object Hierarchy it
certainly helps to have a string class that fits into that.

If it's halfway decent I'm pretty sure you will be happier with
UnicodeString that with std::string

my002,
Martin

From: Edward Diener on
Thomas Richter wrote:
> Maciej Sobczak wrote:

>>> What company exactly is involved in C++ and provides a platform-
>>> independent GUI library?
>>
>> http://qt.nokia.com/
>> http://www.ultimatepp.org/
>>
>> I'm sure there are others, but for the sake of argument these two
>> should suffice.
>
> Oh, definitely. However, these aren't part of the C++ standard in the
> same sense swing is part of the Java standard. Of course, the latter is
> to my knowledge not an ISO standard as C++ is, but for a user that
> matters little. C++ *does* IMHO have an acceptance problem for writing
> easily portable GUIs for this reason.

Java also has SWT, so Swing is not its only popular GUI library.

A language implementation can offer a GUI library as part of what it
considers its standard library, and it can also be supported by popular
3rd party libraries. C++ has a number of 3rd party GUI libraries but
none which is considered to be part of the standard library. Python
really has no GUI library either although it ships with TK/TCL, but
there are a number of other 3rd party GUI libraries it supports. C# (
and C++/CLI ) has its own GUI library, which is part of the .Net
Framework classes.

There are advantages and disadvantages to promoting a single GUI
library. The most obvious advantage is that everyone programs to just
one GUI standard. The most obvious disadvantage is that with a single
GUI library it may be very difficult to cover the different GUIs of the
most popular OSs ( generally Windows, Linux, Mac ). In general I have
found that no single GUI library in any language is really excellent
covering even the major diffwerent GUIs which exist in the popular OSs
for which one might want to write a cross-platform application.

From: Robert Hairgrove on
Edward Diener wrote:
> In general I have found that no single GUI library in any language is really excellent covering even the major diffwerent GUIs which exist in the popular OSs for which one might want to write a cross-platform application.

When was the last time you looked at the Qt libs?