From: Alan Cox on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:12:41 +0100
Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka(a)web.de> wrote:

> Despite all its bugs, the middleware support of our CAPI stack was
> already in use for many, many moons. And after going through its code,
> fixing all issues I found, I feel it deserves to officially become a
> non-experimental feature.

Slightly NAK this - I'm really glad to see the work getting done, but
until it uses krefs properly for the tty references I'd say it is
experimental still.

I'd like to help you sort out the tty krefs stuff, using tty_port and so
on and get that wart fixed too.

Alan
From: Alan Cox on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:13:47 +0100
Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka(a)web.de> wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:12:41 +0100
> > Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka(a)web.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Despite all its bugs, the middleware support of our CAPI stack was
> >> already in use for many, many moons. And after going through its code,
> >> fixing all issues I found, I feel it deserves to officially become a
> >> non-experimental feature.
> >
> > Slightly NAK this - I'm really glad to see the work getting done, but
> > until it uses krefs properly for the tty references I'd say it is
> > experimental still.
> >
> > I'd like to help you sort out the tty krefs stuff, using tty_port and so
> > on and get that wart fixed too.
>
> Will look into to this. Some good starting point or reference driver for me?

Most of the drivers at least use tty_port and the tty_port ref counting
helpers. The most full use of the new interfaces is probably the latest
USB serial code and the drivers/mmc/card/sdio_uart.c code, which uses all
the new facilities to the full to kick all the nasty open/close/hangup
locking and logic out of the low level drivers.