From: Dorothy on
We have a machine that experienced a sever hard disk crash, which we
replaced.

Our CD is damaged, so we have rebuilt it using a friends CD.

Got everything installed (drivers, applications etc) and the system is now
ready for activation.

We used our key to try to active it. It doesn't work. We don't want to use
his key as that would limit his re-activation.

Besides we are of the type that don't believe in piracy, hacking or other
related garbage. We are intent on using a valid activation key.

We only have two days left before it becomes inaccessible - which would be
another rebuild, but that's the way it is.

We have verified the key (that is on the box with our cd) and it is correct.

The same key is also on our invoice, so we know it is correct.

We have gone to several vendors for assistance, but of course they
suggest4ed that we move up to Vista or Windows 7 as this is our only option!

We can't afford to upgrade to a new system that supports Windows 7 (or
Vista), so we have to keep this for awhile. And actually, we like the way
our system was before the hard disk crash.

Why won't our key work with his CD (it's a Generic copy, not OEM).

Thanks.

From: Gordon on

"Dorothy" <dorothy(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> Why won't our key work with his CD (it's a Generic copy, not OEM).

There's your clue. You HAVE to use a version of XP that is EXACTLY the same
as the one your key is for.

From: Unknown on
Simply call Microsoft.

From: Dorothy on
They are the same version Windows XP 2002 with SP1.

We checked that first.

From: Dorothy on
Will do, thanks.