From: Mark Carter on
I've been trying to get a Lisp (CLISP, Corman (Commercial), Clozure,
SBCL) to create web pages. I have tried various things, so far without
success.

I'd like to see if I can get up and running with CGI (or ANYTHING,
really) - although I have futzed around with a couple of other
approaches. The Lisps I have tried have encountered various problems.
CLISP, for example, pours out a chain of debug messages into the
browser. I think it's got something to do with the fact that it
doesn't have a console to push output to when it is run by the web
server. Corman and Clozure seem to have similar problems. Clozure
prints a very cryptic message, and I have no idea as to what its
particular beef is.

SBCL 1.37 is the closest I've got to getting something running so far.
If I point my web browser to
http://localhost/hello.lisp
it gives me back:

This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use
at your own risk. "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"

<head>
<title>Foo</title>
</head>
<H1>This is my first CGI script</H1>
Hello, world!

The problem is, of course, that the "kitten of death" message screws
with the output. Is there any way I suppress it (I've tried the --
noinform option, but that doesn't suppress the message).

Here's my script:
(defun mainly ()
(let(( text "Content-Type: text/html

<head>
<title>Foo</title>
</head>
<H1>This is my first CGI script</H1>
Hello, world!

; (format *standard-output* text)
(format t text)
;(format *terminal-io* text)
))

(mainly)
(quit)

As you can see, there doesn't appear to be much that can go wrong with
it. Any ideas on a way forward other than "just use Linux"?
From: Jorge Gajon on
Hello Mark,

On 2010-06-13, Mark Carter <alt.mcarter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to get a Lisp (CLISP, Corman (Commercial), Clozure,
> SBCL) to create web pages. I have tried various things, so far without
> success.
>
> I'd like to see if I can get up and running with CGI (or ANYTHING,
> really) - although I have futzed around with a couple of other
> approaches. The Lisps I have tried have encountered various problems.

Since you want to stay with Windows, maybe you should take a look at Edi
Weitz's 'Starter Pack':

http://weitz.de/starter-pack/

Among the many libraries it contains, there's Hunchentoot which is a
popular Common Lisp Web Server. I'd strongly recommend that you try
writing your web apps using something like Hunchentoot (or other CL web
server) instead of playing with CGIs. Otherwise you'll only get a lot of
frustrations along the way, since CGIs are not suited to a language like
Common Lisp.

From: Mark Carter on
On 13 June, 17:43, Jorge Gajon <ga...(a)gajon.org> wrote:
> Since you want to stay with Windows, maybe you should take a look at Edi
> Weitz's 'Starter Pack':
>
> http://weitz.de/starter-pack/

OK. Thanks. I'll take a look.