From: beltrixx on
Hi,

I was given a very old laptop by a workmate, a DECpc 425 SLC (also
known as Olivetti Philos 48) because I recently started collecting old
laptops.

This pc refuses to boot and displays the message :

CMOS Timer Error
Unrecoverable Power-Up Error

I thought it was a problem of the batteries and replaced the 7.2V 60
mAh with a new pack I made from two 3.6V 60mAh batteries but the error
remains the same.

My hardware knowledge is limited (I'm a programmer) so I would
appreciate any ideas on how to proceed with this error if anyone
thinks that there is a chance to fix this old treasure ;)

Thanks in advance,

Manel (beltrixx)
From: Sjouke Burry on
beltrixx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was given a very old laptop by a workmate, a DECpc 425 SLC (also
> known as Olivetti Philos 48) because I recently started collecting old
> laptops.
>
> This pc refuses to boot and displays the message :
>
> CMOS Timer Error
> Unrecoverable Power-Up Error
>
> I thought it was a problem of the batteries and replaced the 7.2V 60
> mAh with a new pack I made from two 3.6V 60mAh batteries but the error
> remains the same.
>
> My hardware knowledge is limited (I'm a programmer) so I would
> appreciate any ideas on how to proceed with this error if anyone
> thinks that there is a chance to fix this old treasure ;)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Manel (beltrixx)
Take the batteries out(including the power batteries), wait a few hours,
put all the batteries back in, and hopefully cmos settings are back at
factory default.
From: Barry Watzman on
It is a battery problem, but were messing with the WRONG BATTERY.

The battery causing this problem is an internal battery on or connected
to the motherboard. Disassembly is probably required to even get to it
(it could be on the bottom of the motherboard; motherboard removal may
be required). The battery may be soldered to the motherboard, and it
may be proprietary and no longer available, although a technician should
be able to configure a working substitute. WARNING: DO NOT try to
solder directly to a lithium battery. The resulting fire and explosion
could be extremely hazardous (it's amazing how much damage the
"shrapnel" from an exploding coin cell battery can do ... for example,
to your eyesight).

From: beltrixx on
On 2 mayo, 00:53, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> It is a battery problem, but were messing with the WRONG BATTERY.
>
> The battery causing this problem is an internal battery on or connected
> to the motherboard.  Disassembly is probably required to even get to it
> (it could be on the bottom of the motherboard; motherboard removal may
> be required).  The battery may be soldered to the motherboard, and it
> may be proprietary and no longer available, although a technician should
> be able to configure a working substitute.  WARNING:  DO NOT try to
> solder directly to a lithium battery.  The resulting fire and explosion
> could be extremely hazardous (it's amazing how much damage the
> "shrapnel" from an exploding coin cell battery can do ... for example,
> to your eyesight).
>

> beltrixx wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I was given a very old laptop by a workmate, a DECpc 425 SLC (also
> > known as Olivetti Philos 48) because I recently started collecting old
> > laptops.
>
> > This pc refuses to boot and displays the message :
>
> > CMOS Timer Error
> > Unrecoverable Power-Up Error
>
> > I thought it was a problem of the batteries and replaced the 7.2V 60
> > mAh with a new pack I made from two 3.6V 60mAh batteries but the error
> > remains the same.
>
> > My hardware knowledge is limited (I'm a programmer) so I would
> > appreciate any ideas on how to proceed with this error if anyone
> > thinks that there is a chance to fix this old treasure ;)
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > Manel (beltrixx)- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>
> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

Thank you Barry,

I had noticed another battery, a VL3032 Rechargeable Lithium, but I
though it had nothing to do with the power-up error. I'll follow your
advice and try to buy a replacement one.

I'll let you know if finally I get this old marvel working.

Thank you very much.
From: Barry Watzman on
Why do you assume that this is a rechargeable battery? Most of these
are one-time lithium batteries that are supposed to last 6 to 10 years
in that application. Are you certain that it's not a 2032 instead of a
3032?

[For these batteries, the first number is the diameter in mm (2032 =
20mm across), the second number is the thickness in TENTHS of
millimeters (so either 2032 or 3032 is a 3.2mm thick battery). I'm not
aware that there is a 3032; 2032's are very common. The question is, is
it socketed or soldered with spot welded tabs?]