From: Ferenc Wagner on
Hi,

include/linux/mtd/mtd.h contains the following snippet:

#ifdef CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG
#define DEBUG(n, args...) \
do { \
if (n <= CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE) \
printk(KERN_INFO args); \
} while(0)

which conflicts with the generic debugging support in
include/linux/kernel.h:

#ifdef DEBUG
#define pr_devel(fmt, ...) \
printk(KERN_DEBUG pr_fmt(fmt), ##__VA_ARGS__)

(that is, gcc emits redefinition warnings on modules which
#define DEBUG on their own and also include mtd.h)
Unfortunately, the DEBUG macro is used rather heavily under
drivers/mtd. Should we resolve this somehow or is it better
to just live with it?

(Please keep me on Cc, I'm not subscribed.)
--
Thanks,
Feri.
From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 13:55 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> include/linux/mtd/mtd.h contains the following snippet:
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG
> #define DEBUG(n, args...) \
> do { \
> if (n <= CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE) \
> printk(KERN_INFO args); \
> } while(0)
>
> which conflicts with the generic debugging support in
> include/linux/kernel.h:
>
> #ifdef DEBUG
> #define pr_devel(fmt, ...) \
> printk(KERN_DEBUG pr_fmt(fmt), ##__VA_ARGS__)
>
> (that is, gcc emits redefinition warnings on modules which
> #define DEBUG on their own and also include mtd.h)
> Unfortunately, the DEBUG macro is used rather heavily under
> drivers/mtd. Should we resolve this somehow or is it better
> to just live with it?
>
> (Please keep me on Cc, I'm not subscribed.)

IMO, this MTD debug stuff is not very useful and could be just killed.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)

From: Ferenc Wagner on
Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 13:55 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> include/linux/mtd/mtd.h contains the following snippet:
>>
>> #ifdef CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG
>> #define DEBUG(n, args...) \
>> do { \
>> if (n <= CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE) \
>> printk(KERN_INFO args); \
>> } while(0)
>>
>> which conflicts with the generic debugging support in
>> include/linux/kernel.h:
>>
>> #ifdef DEBUG
>> #define pr_devel(fmt, ...) \
>> printk(KERN_DEBUG pr_fmt(fmt), ##__VA_ARGS__)
>>
>> (that is, gcc emits redefinition warnings on modules which
>> #define DEBUG on their own and also include mtd.h)
>> Unfortunately, the DEBUG macro is used rather heavily under
>> drivers/mtd. Should we resolve this somehow or is it better
>> to just live with it?
>
> IMO, this MTD debug stuff is not very useful and could be just killed.

Well, I found the mtdcore debugging somewhat useful. But anyway,
killing it would be about as much work as renaming the macro, or using
something standard as dev_(v)dbg or pr_debug/devel (btw. what's the
difference?) instead. I'm willing to do some mechanical work on either
one if you wish.
--
Regards,
Feri.
From: Wolfram Sang on
> something standard as dev_(v)dbg or pr_debug/devel (btw. what's the
> difference?) instead.

pr_devel will never produce code if !DEBUG. For pr_debug, it may be different
as we have DYNAMIC_DEBUG meanwhile (see kernel.h)

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Wolfram Sang |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |
From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 17:20 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 13:55 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> >
> >> include/linux/mtd/mtd.h contains the following snippet:
> >>
> >> #ifdef CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG
> >> #define DEBUG(n, args...) \
> >> do { \
> >> if (n <= CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE) \
> >> printk(KERN_INFO args); \
> >> } while(0)
> >>
> >> which conflicts with the generic debugging support in
> >> include/linux/kernel.h:
> >>
> >> #ifdef DEBUG
> >> #define pr_devel(fmt, ...) \
> >> printk(KERN_DEBUG pr_fmt(fmt), ##__VA_ARGS__)
> >>
> >> (that is, gcc emits redefinition warnings on modules which
> >> #define DEBUG on their own and also include mtd.h)
> >> Unfortunately, the DEBUG macro is used rather heavily under
> >> drivers/mtd. Should we resolve this somehow or is it better
> >> to just live with it?
> >
> > IMO, this MTD debug stuff is not very useful and could be just killed.
>
> Well, I found the mtdcore debugging somewhat useful. But anyway,
> killing it would be about as much work as renaming the macro, or using
> something standard as dev_(v)dbg or pr_debug/devel (btw. what's the
> difference?) instead. I'm willing to do some mechanical work on either
> one if you wish.

Yeah, probalby you can transform them to dev_dbg. But the "levels" do
not seem to be available with dev_dbg, so I guess you could nuke some
higher level messages?