From: James Moe on
Hello,
See <http://v3.sohnen-moe.com/>.
When the dropdown menu for the "About" item drops down, it partially
covers, or more likely is covered by, the Search entry field. Mousing
down to the Press Room item and sliding to the right, the menu
disappears as soon as the mouse enters the Search div.
Is there a solution to this besides rearranging the layout?

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
From: James Moe on
On 06/17/2010 04:48 PM, Ed Jay wrote:
>> When the dropdown menu for the "About" item drops down, it partially
>> covers, or more likely is covered by, the Search entry field. Mousing
>> down to the Press Room item and sliding to the right, the menu
>> disappears as soon as the mouse enters the Search div.
>> Is there a solution to this besides rearranging the layout?
>
> Have you tried setting z-index to 10 and 1 for the divs holding your menu
> bar and input elements, respectively?

Ah! That was it. Thanks!

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
James Moe wrote:

> See <http://v3.sohnen-moe.com/>.
> Is there a solution to this besides rearranging the layout?

Why don't you place the menu down the left side, a more obvious place
for a menu? I didn't notice yours at first, as it is buried tight
against the top margin of the viewport. Also, to move from page to page,
one must scroll the complete distance back to the top to even see it
again.

--
-bts
From: James Moe on
On 06/17/2010 05:39 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Is there a solution to this besides rearranging the layout?
>
> Why don't you place the menu down the left side, a more obvious place
> for a menu? I didn't notice yours at first, as it is buried tight

I put the menu at the top mainly for two reasons.
With the menu on the left a fixed (min-)width is required to assure
the text is properly displayed. This leaves a open, unused column below
the menu, dead space. Space that can be better used by actual content.
It also makes it cleaner to add a secondary menu on the left or right
for more complex sections
The space at the top of the page is mostly display, again dead space.
I thought that using a dropdown menu into that space was a reasonable
use of the area.

I think that having a menu on the left is not a good design. It is not
friendly to narrow viewports. Once a viewport gets below 400px, all that
can be seen initially is the menu.

> against the top margin of the viewport. Also, to move from page to page,
> one must scroll the complete distance back to the top to even see it
> again.

It is a fairly short menu. A visitor would have to return to the top
anyway.