From: Rahul on
I have disk specs on my 15K SAS drives that I am going to put in a RAID5
box with 8 drives.

I think I know how to get IOPS but how do I get a effective throughput
number?

IOPS = 1000 / (average read seek in millisec + latency)

[Correct me if I am messing it up]

But how do I get Mbits/sec numbers now? Someone said I multiply IOPS by 512
since that how big a block is but the reasoning seems a little shaky to me.

I need the Mbits/sec since that allows me to estimate what the size of the
links ought to be.

--
Rahul
From: Chris Cox on
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 21:54 +0000, Rahul wrote:
> I have disk specs on my 15K SAS drives that I am going to put in a RAID5
> box with 8 drives.
>
> I think I know how to get IOPS but how do I get a effective throughput
> number?
>
> IOPS = 1000 / (average read seek in millisec + latency)
>
> [Correct me if I am messing it up]
>
> But how do I get Mbits/sec numbers now? Someone said I multiply IOPS by 512
> since that how big a block is but the reasoning seems a little shaky to me.

They are wrong. The only way to get this is by doing a block transfer
test. You could use bonnie++ or a time transfer of something more than
twice as big as your memory. I'd use bonnie++ though. Then you get
reads, writes, etc.

From: Rahul on
Chris Cox <chrisncoxn(a)endlessnow.com> wrote in

> They are wrong. The only way to get this is by doing a block transfer
> test. You could use bonnie++ or a time transfer of something more than
> twice as big as your memory. I'd use bonnie++ though. Then you get
> reads, writes, etc.

Thanks! But how does one go about buying a disk? I looked at some SAS disk
spec sheets on the web and they only have seek times and latency.

If I have a requirement in mind how do I evaluate what this particular disk
can or cannot generate for IOPS and MB/sec?

--
Rahul
From: Maxwell Lol on
Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> writes:

> Chris Cox <chrisncoxn(a)endlessnow.com> wrote in
>
>> They are wrong. The only way to get this is by doing a block transfer
>> test. You could use bonnie++ or a time transfer of something more than
>> twice as big as your memory. I'd use bonnie++ though. Then you get
>> reads, writes, etc.
>>

> Thanks! But how does one go about buying a disk? I looked at some SAS disk
> spec sheets on the web and they only have seek times and latency.
>
> If I have a requirement in mind how do I evaluate what this particular disk
> can or cannot generate for IOPS and MB/sec?

Like they said - Run the bonnie benchmark. I haven't used the
bonnie++ benchmark, but I'ved used bonnie a lot. Recently I compiled
it under cygwin, and ran it on a Windows box using an encrypted disk.

In bonnie, You do have to specify a file size that is larger than the
largest memorty buffer. Otherwise you are measuring the cache.

Here's a sad truth. marketeers lie. Specs lie. You can't trust them.
If you are luckly, someone else has done a suitable benchmark for you.
If not, do it yourself.

From: Keith Keller on
On 2009-09-18, Maxwell Lol <nospam(a)com.invalid> wrote:

> Here's a sad truth. marketeers lie. Specs lie. You can't trust them.
> If you are luckly, someone else has done a suitable benchmark for you.
> If not, do it yourself.

In other words, you need to buy the disk and benchmark it before
deciding which disk to buy. ;-/

I'm not disagreeing with you--it's the only way to fairly compare disks
to each other. But not all organizations have the resources to go out
and purchase a bunch of hard disks just for benchmarking purposes.

Does anyone know of a centralized location where various benchmarks on
hard drives are posted/shared? Obviously these too need to be taken
with some grains of salt (not everyone tunes their configuration
appropriately, vendors might poison the site, benchmarks might be fudged
and/or fabricated. But it would be better than nothing.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)