From: Shams on
Let's say somebody was hired on October 2, 2006 and left on August 14, 2009.
I know that the YEAR function will return a value of 3.0. Is there a way I
could calculate the Year and month i.e. in this case the length of service is
2 years and 10 months (ignoring the exact day of hire and termination)

Or is there another acceptable way of showig Length of Service? Thanks.
From: JLatham on
With hire date in A1 and termination date in B1
=DATEDIF(A1,B1,"Y")&" Y, "&DATEDIF(A1,B1,"ym")&" M, "&DATEDIF(A1,B1,"md")&" D"
will give you the answer down to days! You can leave off the days part with:
=DATEDIF(A1,B1,"Y")&" Y, "&DATEDIF(A1,B1,"ym")&" M"

Courtesy of Chip Pearson: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetimews.htm

From: Dave Peterson on
Chip Pearson has some very nice notes:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.aspx