From: enda man on
Hi,

I want to call the Windows signtool to sign a binary from a python
script.

Here is my script:
//
os.chdir('./Install/activex/cab')
subprocess.call(["signtool", "sign", "/v", "/f", "webph.pfx", "/t",
"http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll", "WebPh.exe" ])
//

But I am getting this error:
////
SignTool Error: The specified PFX password is not correct.

Number of files successfully Signed: 0
Number of warnings: 0
Number of errors: 1
Finished building plugin installer
scons: done building targets.
////

This python script is called as part of a scons build, which is also
python code.

Anyone seen this before or can pass on any ideas.
Tks,
EM

From: Matt Mitchell on
I think you need to use the /p switch to pass signtool.exe a password
when using the /f switch.
Check out
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8s9b9yaz%28VS.80%29.aspx for
more info.

-----------------------------------
The information contained in this electronic message and any attached document(s) is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients named above. This message may be confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone (603) 262-6300 or by electronic mail immediately. Thank you.

On Mar 2, 2:46 pm, "Matt Mitchell" <mmitch...(a)transparent.com> wrote:
> I think you need to use the /p switch to pass signtool.exe a password
> when using the /f switch.
> Check outhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8s9b9yaz%28VS.80%29.aspxfor
> more info.
>
> -----------------------------------
> The information contained in this electronic message and any attached document(s) is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients named above. This message may be confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone (603) 262-6300 or by electronic mail immediately. Thank you.

The same command works when run from the command line but when I run
it from python using subprocess.call(...) it fails as described in my
first post. I do not need to use the /p switch as the password is
embedded in the pfx file.
That is why I think it is something I am or am not doing in python.

EM

From: Chris Rebert on
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:34 AM, enda man <emannion(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to call the Windows signtool to sign a binary from a python
> script.
>
> Here is my script:
> //
> os.chdir('./Install/activex/cab')
> subprocess.call(["signtool", "sign", "/v", "/f", "webph.pfx", "/t",
> "http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll", "WebPh.exe" ])
> //
>
> But I am getting this error:
> ////
> SignTool Error: The specified PFX password is not correct.
>
> Number of files successfully Signed: 0
> Number of warnings: 0
> Number of errors: 1
> Finished building plugin installer
> scons: done building targets.
> ////
>

> This python script is called as part of a scons build, which is also
> python code.
>
> Anyone seen this before or can pass on any ideas.

Nothing looks obviously wrong (though I'm unfamiliar with signtool).
Have you tried specifying an absolute path to webph.pfx?

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com