From: Salad on
Let's say we have an app published to the web writtem by AlbertCo. He's
invited me to use this app for viewing AlbertWares, the products he
sells to. Salad has Access2010 sitting on his desktop and he wouldn't
mind having the data in Albert's tables.

Can Salad then open up Access 2010 and link to the tables on Alberts
site? Can he see/review the data there without going thru the web app?

From: The Frog on
Not if the app is written correctly. In the end it depends on how it
was written. I dont think you could ever use a linked tables scenario,
but you could probably use pass through sql as a scenario. Basically
you are looking to see if you can gain the necessary info to access
the BE from the FE (web interface). If done properly this is a no.
From: Salad on
The Frog wrote:

> Not if the app is written correctly. In the end it depends on how it
> was written. I dont think you could ever use a linked tables scenario,
> but you could probably use pass through sql as a scenario. Basically
> you are looking to see if you can gain the necessary info to access
> the BE from the FE (web interface). If done properly this is a no.

OK. Let's say the app is going to be running both locally and on the
web. Are they disconnected from each other? Wouldn't the local folks
be linked to the tables on the Sharepoint server as well?
From: The Frog on
Ahhhhh, I see. Sorry Salad, I thought you were meaning a PHP or ASP
page on a web server. I dont know about Sharepoint. Maybe there is a
Sahrepoint guru having a read of this. I am also curious to know the
answer to this as Sharepoint is coming into my office at the end of
this year (supposedly).

Cheers

The Frog
From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Salad" <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in message
> Let's say we have an app published to the web writtem by AlbertCo. He's
> invited me to use this app for viewing AlbertWares, the products he sells
> to. Salad has Access2010 sitting on his desktop and he wouldn't mind
> having the data in Albert's tables.
>
> Can Salad then open up Access 2010 and link to the tables on Alberts site?
> Can he see/review the data there without going thru the web app?

Yes, if you have permissions and a logon.

And, if the site is setup for anonymous (no logon required), then again you
would be able to link to the tables on the site and pull down the data
without any logon at all.

And for all cases, when you do link in this way, then you can build regular
VBA forms that edits that data. And, same goes for reports. Even more cool
is if you editing data and your connection breaks, then you can continue to
edit data (local). When the connection returns (or you return to some place
that has wiFi or back to the office and plug in to the internet), then the
data starts to flow and sync again. So, the connection build around a
disconnected model.

This means that breaks in the internet connection is not problem, but is in
fact part of the overall design. You can take your laptop out of the office,
and continue to run and use the application without an internet connection.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Nospam_kallal(a)msn.com