From: Carlos Mennens on
I noticed today that many items expressed in main.cf appear to be what
"I think" is default value and should not be expressed. I was
wondering if this logic is correct:

If the following two values are identical, can I simply remove the
parameter from 'main.cf'?

root(a)mail:~# postconf -n | grep "sendmail_path"
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail

root(a)mail:~# postconf -d | grep "sendmail_path"
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail

This wont break or hurt Postfix, correct? I should only add values in
main.cf that differ from the default and remove redundant entries,
right? Just am worried I would break Postfix in some special scenarios
Postfix expects the default value to be expressed again in 'main.cf'.

Thanks for any clarification.

From: Wietse Venema on
Carlos Mennens:
> I noticed today that many items expressed in main.cf appear to be what
> "I think" is default value and should not be expressed. I was
> wondering if this logic is correct:
>
> If the following two values are identical, can I simply remove the
> parameter from 'main.cf'?
>
> root(a)mail:~# postconf -n | grep "sendmail_path"
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> root(a)mail:~# postconf -d | grep "sendmail_path"
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> This wont break or hurt Postfix, correct? I should only add values in
> main.cf that differ from the default and remove redundant entries,
> right? Just am worried I would break Postfix in some special scenarios
> Postfix expects the default value to be expressed again in 'main.cf'.

These parameters are set when Postfix is installed. Since different
system distributions install things in different places, having
this information in main.cf is useful, because it will show up in
the "postconf -n" output when people report a problem.

(as some maintainers modifity the built-in Postfix defaults, having
the real values in a problem report is better than having to guess).

Wietse

From: Noel Jones on
On 3/16/2010 3:49 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I noticed today that many items expressed in main.cf appear to be what
> "I think" is default value and should not be expressed. I was
> wondering if this logic is correct:
>
> If the following two values are identical, can I simply remove the
> parameter from 'main.cf'?
>
> root(a)mail:~# postconf -n | grep "sendmail_path"
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> root(a)mail:~# postconf -d | grep "sendmail_path"
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> This wont break or hurt Postfix, correct? I should only add values in
> main.cf that differ from the default and remove redundant entries,
> right? Just am worried I would break Postfix in some special scenarios
> Postfix expects the default value to be expressed again in 'main.cf'.
>
> Thanks for any clarification.

The default values shown by "postconf -d" are what postfix
will use if a parameter is unset in main.cf.

If the default value is suitable for you, there's no reason
for the parameter to be in main.cf.

Removing default parameters are unlikely to break anything.
If unsure, comment the parameter out by placing a "#" before
it, then reload postfix. That way you can quickly add it back
if something doesn't work as expected. Important Note: if a
parameter values span multiple lines you need to comment out
each line, not just the line with the parameter name.

-- Noel Jones