From: david on
If I remember correctly, Word has three (?) different
methods for doing mail merge. In order of invention,
they were

DDE (Access 2)
ODBC (Access 95)
OLEDB (Access 2000)

Of these, only DDE normally opens Access and runs an
autoexec macro. (unless there is some new problem in
some new version of Office).

So one way might be to change your mail merge document
to merge using ODBC rather than DDE.

Another way would be to create a new database for
mail merge which only contains links to the tables in
your real database, (or links to the queries, or queries
linked to the tables, or queries linked to the queries)

You create a database of table links by importing the
tables as links. You create linked queries by specifying
the table (or query) and database in a query definition.

(david)

"InvisibleDuncan" <InvisibleDuncan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9E8F1C94-A514-4963-8D69-402B21290067(a)microsoft.com...

From: InvisibleDuncan on
Thanks, David - that's very helpful. Believe it or not I'm using Word and
Access 97, so that might explain why it's happening. Do you know how to get
the document to use ODBC instead of DDE? I'm simply using the default setting
that comes from the mail-merge wizard in Word, and there doesn't seem to be
an obvious way of stopping it from using DDE.

Thanks,

--
Duncan

From: david on
I think you have to tell Word not to automatically connect
to the mail merge source. That is, choose "select" as the
mail merge source type.

Then when you start to mail merge, Word will ask you for
the source, and you can select an ODBC driver or DSN
you have set up.

Or I think you can automate this process using VBA.

I don't have an examples at hand.

(david)

"InvisibleDuncan" <InvisibleDuncan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8FCBB518-D9AB-470B-8444-674849273F90(a)microsoft.com...