From: allenc on
I have a SQL Server db on my hosting site. It's used for my business
shopping cart. I want to impoort some new items into it, but do not
want to take a chance messing things up, so I would like to have a
development system to do test imports into.

I have a backed up copy of the db and have ftp'd it to my client. Is
ther any way to open this locally to do test import to make sure
things work?

Thanks

Allen
From: Tibor Karaszi on
You would need a SQL Server for this. That could be like Express Edition
(free) or Developer Edition (cheap, like Enterprise but not allowed to run
production work).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Plamen Ratchev on
You can download and install the free SQL Express edition locally:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/

For development it may be worth it to purchase the Developer Edition for ~$50.

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com
From: Michael Coles on
Yes you can install and run SQL Server locally as long as your machine meets
the minimum requirements (search MSDN for "SQL Server minimum
requirements"). If your database is not too large you may be able to use
SQL Express locally (free download from Microsoft) to test your imports.

From: allenc on
On Dec 11, 9:04 am, Plamen Ratchev <Pla...(a)SQLStudio.com> wrote:
> You can download and install the free SQL Express edition locally:http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/
>
> For development it may be worth it to purchase the Developer Edition for ~$50.
>
> --
> Plamen Ratchevhttp://www.SQLStudio.com

Thanks, I'll check it out