From: me on
I'm thinking of buying a laptop that does not have a
built in optical drive. No big deal as I seldom use
them..... but still need one occasionally to load
software onto the laptop hard drive.

Being somewhat frugal, I was wondering if I could use
my Blue Ray player as a "drive" for the laptop if
needing to load software on it(laptop)??
From: Adrian C on
On 19/01/2010 00:10, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> Being somewhat frugal, I was wondering if I could use
> my Blue Ray player as a "drive" for the laptop if
> needing to load software on it(laptop)??

Yes.

You have to remove the cabinet screws, desolder components, reassemble
them in another order so it will work, resolder, add some custom wire
cables, rewrite the firmware and then you are done.

To revert to working as a blueray player, simply do the above in reverse.

On the other hand, Internal CD/DVD drives for laptops are pretty cheap,
maybe $20 or so.

--
Adrian C
From: Bob Villa on
>My own blu-ray video player has a standard Matsushita PC drive inside. It's
unusually a PATA drive and on investigation it turned out to be a Blu-
ray
burner even though the player itself has no burning capability.

If we were sure of the model and its burning capability...that would
be a good savings! My Panasonic Blu-Ray player was $125.

bob_v
From: Ian D on

<me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of buying a laptop that does not have a
> built in optical drive. No big deal as I seldom use
> them..... but still need one occasionally to load
> software onto the laptop hard drive.
>
> Being somewhat frugal, I was wondering if I could use
> my Blue Ray player as a "drive" for the laptop if
> needing to load software on it(laptop)??

I think you're asking if you can use your home theatre
Blue Ray drive as an external drive for installing
applications onto a laptop.

Some Blue Ray players have LAN and WiFi connections,
but I don't know if they can be used to read PC data DVDs
or CDs so that applications could be copied via network
to a PC hard drive for installation from the hard drive.

You would have to check the documentation for your
drive. If it's not workable, you can get a good USB2 external
DVD/CD rewriter for under $100. LG makes reasonably priced
external drives.

From: Bob Villa on
>It should be noted that USB2 is not fast enough to run a blu-ray
drive/burner at its full speed. USB3 or Firewire is required for
that. But
USB2 is adequate for video.

Although USB2 is listed as being faster...in practice...Firewire is
only slightly faster than USB2.

bob
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2