From: Aster on
Can a US power 3-prong Flat power cord, rated for 125V be safely used on
220V electricity?
(if just use US/EU travel adapter).

From: SC Tom on

"Aster" <asterr(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote in message
> Can a US power 3-prong Flat power cord, rated for 125V be safely used on
> 220V electricity?
> (if just use US/EU travel adapter).

Yes. Most are rated to 300v.
If you want a replacement for yours (as in your previous post), one of these
solutions might work:

ttp://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/power-cable/10w1-15306.htm

Buy the whole thing here:
http://www.suntekstore.com/19-5V-4-62A-Replacement-AC-Adapter-with-EU-Power-Cord-9T215-for-Dell-Laptop-PA-10-3-Prong-.html

--
SC Tom

From: Aster on

"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> "Aster" <asterr(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote in message
>> Can a US power 3-prong Flat power cord, rated for 125V be safely used on
>> 220V electricity?
>> (if just use US/EU travel adapter).
>
> Yes. Most are rated to 300v.
> If you want a replacement for yours (as in your previous post), one of
> these solutions might work:
>
> ttp://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/power-cable/10w1-15306.htm
>
> Buy the whole thing here:
> http://www.suntekstore.com/19-5V-4-62A-Replacement-AC-Adapter-with-EU-Power-Cord-9T215-for-Dell-Laptop-PA-10-3-Prong-.html
>
> --
> SC Tom
---------

There is sticker on cable, rated to 125V.. So I should consider it rated to
300V and safe?
Technically, why used flat cable type?

A.

From: SC Tom on

> "SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Aster" <asterr(a)nospam.microsoft.news> wrote in message
>>> Can a US power 3-prong Flat power cord, rated for 125V be safely used on
>>> 220V electricity?
>>> (if just use US/EU travel adapter).
>>
>> Yes. Most are rated to 300v.
>> If you want a replacement for yours (as in your previous post), one of
>> these solutions might work:
>>
>> http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/power-cable/10w1-15306.htm
>>
>> Buy the whole thing here:
>> http://www.suntekstore.com/19-5V-4-62A-Replacement-AC-Adapter-with-EU-Power-Cord-9T215-for-Dell-Laptop-PA-10-3-Prong-.html
>>
>> --
>> SC Tom
> ---------
>
> There is sticker on cable, rated to 125V.. So I should consider it rated
> to 300V and safe?
> Technically, why used flat cable type?
>
> A.

Look on the cord itself and there should be a max voltage rating. The two
that I have close at hand both have "300 volts" imprinted in the cord
covering itself (one for a Gateway PS, and the other for a Compaq).
If you have your old cord, look at the size of the wire listed on the
covering. Somewhere on it, there should be a stamp like "3x18AWG" or
similar. If the one you are wanting to use is the same or larger, you
shouldn't have any problem. Remember, a smaller gauge number (AWG) is a
larger wire, which will handle a higher current. 16AWG is larger than 18AWG.
The only reason IMO that a flat wire is used is that it folds up into a
smaller space than a round one.
--
SC Tom