From: Max Wachtel on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 23:47:46 -0400, FromTheRafters
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>> From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave(a)hotmail..co.uk>
>>

>> hxxp://www.eutimes.net/2010/05/us-orders-blackout-over-north-korean-torpedoing-of-gulf-
>> | of-mexico-oil-rig/
>>

>> Initial analysis shows no malicious activity.
>
> After a delay, I got a webpage pretending to be a messagebox. Clicking
> would lead to hxxp:/
> /91.213.157.62/index.php?q=3654db04721f3e5a44993142c696db659110220 had I
> clicked it. It is another fake AV scan (looks like a new one to me, but
> you're the one that would know that).

I looked at eutimes page and NoScript blocked 10 or so scripts from
running.
--
This post was created using Opera(a)USB: http://www.opera-usb.com
Virus Removal Instructions
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave(a)hotmail..co.uk>

| BD made a post:

>>> Here's the story!

| hxxp://www.eutimes.net/2010/05/us-orders-blackout-over-north-korean-torpedoing-of-gulf-
| of-mexico-oil-rig/

This time it served me up a PDF Exploit of CVE-2009-1492 & CVE-2007-5659.

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8bb558789981d3929ea1d20c0176ec3fca5b35c0b41db4adb95fe224278df972-1273112346

It must be a rotating ad malvertizement.

--
Dave

From: ~BD~ on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "~BD~"<BoaterDave(a)hotmail..co.uk>
>
> | BD made a post:

> | hxxp://www.eutimes.net/2010/05/us-orders-blackout-over-north-korean-torpedoing-of-gulf-
> | of-mexico-oil-rig/
>

> This time it served me up a PDF Exploit of CVE-2009-1492& CVE-2007-5659.
>
> http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8bb558789981d3929ea1d20c0176ec3fca5b35c0b41db4adb95fe224278df972-1273112346
>
> It must be a rotating ad malvertizement.

Thank you,DHL. Dave Eagle (the first to see same) has been notified.

I have *no* desire to 'infect' the computers of other people. Period.

I had no idea that there was malware attached to the URL which I
obtained from a Google search. It certainly caused no ill effect here on
my OS X 10.6.3 system AFAICT, yet it could, I now understand, have
caused problems for other members of the Scorched-Earth group.

What kind of software could I employ which would catch this type of
malware and eliminate same before I might inadvertently pass it on to
other people? I did once enquire to see if Malwarebytes intended to
spread their wings into the Apple arena but received an answer in the
negative.

A subsequent scan of my machine with ClamXav found no malware, btw.

--
Dave - I appreciate comments from all who responded. Thanks.
From: Max Wachtel on
On Fri, 07 May 2010 07:03:43 -0400, ~BD~ <BoaterDave(a)hotmail..co.uk> wrote:

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "~BD~"<BoaterDave(a)hotmail..co.uk>
>>
>> | BD made a post:

>> hxxp://www.eutimes.net/2010/05/us-orders-blackout-over-north-korean-torpedoing-of-gulf-
>> | of-mexico-oil-rig/
>>

>> This time it served me up a PDF Exploit of CVE-2009-1492&
>> CVE-2007-5659.
>>
>> http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8bb558789981d3929ea1d20c0176ec3fca5b35c0b41db4adb95fe224278df972-1273112346
>>
>> It must be a rotating ad malvertizement.
>>

> Thank you,DHL. Dave Eagle (the first to see same) has been notified.
>
> I have *no* desire to 'infect' the computers of other people. Period.
>
> I had no idea that there was malware attached to the URL which I
> obtained from a Google search. It certainly caused no ill effect here on
> my OS X 10.6.3 system AFAICT, yet it could, I now understand, have
> caused problems for other members of the Scorched-Earth group.
>
> What kind of software could I employ which would catch this type of
> malware and eliminate same before I might inadvertently pass it on to
> other people? I did once enquire to see if Malwarebytes intended to
> spread their wings into the Apple arena but received an answer in the
> negative.
>
> A subsequent scan of my machine with ClamXav found no malware, btw.

There is not much you can do about "malvertizements"(that's funny). They
are all over cyberspace. My wife had one on her myspace comment page the
other day. Folks need to secure their system, keep the anti-whatever
up-to-date, not click on every button they find and stop using Microsoft's
Internet Exploiter.
--
This post was created using Opera: http://www.opera.com
From: Leonard Agoado on

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote

> It must be a rotating ad malvertizement.

"Malvertizement?"

That's a keeper.

Regards,

Len Agoado