From: Michael Moser on
I was recently trying to read my favorite newspaper's online version while
traveling. To do so, I enabled my WM phone's Internet Connection sharing
feature, connected my laptop via Bluetooth to it (using the Personal Area
Network profile) and directed my browser to the newspaper online version.

In principle that worked pretty nice, EXCEPT, that the phone's Internet
connection sharing always times out after about 5 minutes of inactivity. So,
each time after reading a longer article, when I tried to continue to the
connection between the two devices to go down. I then always had to
re-enable connection sharing on the phone, re-enable the BT connection
between laptop and phone, then wait a minute until the laptop had realized
that it had regained internet connectivity, and finally I was able to load
the next page (at least the website didn't close the connection, too, or
else I would have had to login again, too, for every other page or so). This
always took about 30 seconds at least...

So, in short: this became SOO annoying after a while that I consider this
scheme UNUSABLE for that sort of application using rather sporadic accesses.
Can one somehow adjust that and have Internet connection sharing and the
Bluetooth personal area network use longer timeouts - say 15 minutes or
maybe even more? I found no settings or preferences to adjust these but are
there maybe some registry entries that control BT timeouts and internet
connection sharing timeouts? Or any other trick to keep such a connection
alive? Is there maybe some utility app. that could trigger a short ping in
the background every minute or so?

This is on an HTC Touch HD (which runs WM 6.1).

Michael

From: Roger 2008 on

"Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser(a)nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> I was recently trying to read my favorite newspaper's online version while
> traveling. To do so, I enabled my WM phone's Internet Connection sharing
> feature, connected my laptop via Bluetooth to it (using the Personal Area
> Network profile) and directed my browser to the newspaper online version.
>
> In principle that worked pretty nice, EXCEPT, that the phone's Internet
> connection sharing always times out after about 5 minutes of inactivity.
So,
> each time after reading a longer article, when I tried to continue to the
Bluetooth
> connection between the two devices to go down. I then always had to
> re-enable connection sharing on the phone, re-enable the BT connection
> between laptop and phone, then wait a minute until the laptop had realized
> that it had regained internet connectivity, and finally I was able to load
> the next page (at least the website didn't close the connection, too, or
> else I would have had to login again, too, for every other page or so).
This
> always took about 30 seconds at least...
>
> So, in short: this became SOO annoying after a while that I consider this
> scheme UNUSABLE for that sort of application using rather sporadic
accesses.
> Can one somehow adjust that and have Internet connection sharing and the
> Bluetooth personal area network use longer timeouts - say 15 minutes or
> maybe even more? I found no settings or preferences to adjust these but
are
> there maybe some registry entries that control BT timeouts and internet
> connection sharing timeouts? Or any other trick to keep such a connection
> alive? Is there maybe some utility app. that could trigger a short ping in
> the background every minute or so?
>
> This is on an HTC Touch HD (which runs WM 6.1).
>
> Michael

I remember when Sprint used to break an internet connection even if it was
active at the time so there was nothing that could be done about those
connection failures. I hope you aren't facing the same thing.

If you think it is just an inactivity then there are two things you can try
and both the programs listed below will let you try them for 30 days.

WMWiFiRouter has some extra parameters to keep a connection alive so you
might have less problem using BT PAN.
http://wmwifirouter.com

PDANet gives your PPC BT DUN and BT DUN is easier to reconnect than BT PAN
after a failure because you don't have to touch the phone itself.
http://junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php