From: BruceM via OfficeKB.com on
I have a spreadsheet in which I have locked certain cells, then I protected
the spreadsheet (Tools >> Protection >> Protect Worksheet). However, I can
still write to the locked cells. I can prevent that by not allowing users to
select locked cells, but I would like them to be able to copy and paste.
What am I missing? I am using Access 2003.

From: Gord Dibben on
If you can still edit locked cells then you have not protected the worksheet
properly.

Or the cells you think are locked are not.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: BruceM via OfficeKB.com on
I thought I had provided enough detail to show I had locked the cells and
protected the worksheet properly. However, there is a layer of protection I
had not considered. It was an inherited workbook, and it turns out that
ranges were unlocked (Tools >> Protection >> Allow User to Edit Ranges.
Presumably this option is intended to allow certain users to edit ranges, but
instead they had implemented it without requiring a password, which was
effectively the same as unlocking the cells. All cells were locked (Format

From: bala_vb on

BruceM via OfficeKB.com;951508 Wrote:
> I have a spreadsheet in which I have locked certain cells, then I
> protected
> the spreadsheet (Tools >> Protection >> Protect Worksheet). However, I
> can
> still write to the locked cells. I can prevent that by not allowing
> users to
> select locked cells, but I would like them to be able to copy and
> paste.
> What am I missing? I am using Access 2003.

Try this,

Goto Tools->Protection->Protect Sheet (instead of protect workbook)

All the best

--
bala_vb
From: Gord Dibben on
Thanks for letting us know Bruce.

One thing I never thought of. I never use the "allow users to edit ranges"

Gord