From: Bob I on
It could be that your floppy drive has sat so long the head mechanism is
sticky and not tracking properly. When I have this issue I just take an
empty or expendable diskette and then format it several times. Do not
use Quick Format as that only deletes the directory area. You want the
system to run the heads back and forth over the entire head travel area.
If the drive doesn't want to reformat the disk because it's already
formatted, just get a magnet and stroke the surface of the disk case.
This will scramble any signatures on the disk and then the system will
reformat it. Just remember the idea is to drive the heads back and forth
over the full range of travel.