From: Tibor Karaszi on
> Then I restarted that sql server; it still does not show when I browse
> the local machine for database servers.

>>not show when I browse
> the local machine for database servers.

Browsing will remember what you had there previously. Also, it doesn't
necessarily see active servers. I never use the browser for exactly those
reasons: type the name you know it has (and it will remember that name in
the future).
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: mat on
Well, for some odd reason I thought the browse button would do what
every other browse button like that I've seen does: open a dialog and
show the servers it discovers. Since the server's browse service is on,
I figured the active servers would be offered, especially since it's
local to SSMS (same box).

I don't exactly see what good offering 'browse' is, if all it can show
is names I've typed in manually? Anyways it does better than that, it
finds some other server on the network tab, but it does not show the
most obvious server, the one running on the same box. That to me is a
strange behavior.

In article <#apkDOt2KHA.4336(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, urid(a)iscar.co.il
says...