From: Paul H on
I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

From: Happy Oyster on
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:34:00 -0500, "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam(a)att.net>
wrote:

>I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
>wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
>documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
>competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

You see the lamp for the "WLAN active"? What if you try

[notebook-functions]+F1
to [notebook-functions]+F12

Perhaps one of these combinations will work. Another item is how to switch of
the "idiot rubber", i.e. the rectangle input. Or do you have a trackball?
--
Gott l��t Israeliten 12000 Bewohner von Ai umbringen
(Das Buch Josua, Kap. 8) *** http://www.reimbibel.de ***
From: Adrian C on
Paul H wrote:
> I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
> wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
> documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
> competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

See item #10 on page 5 of the quickstart quide. It's the leftmost button
out of the four between the speakers above the keyboard.

--
Adrian C
From: Paul H on
That is just a light that shows wireless activity - it cannot be depressed.

From: Billsey on
Paul H wrote:

> I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
> wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
> documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
> competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

There shouldn't be any problem. If you have a wireless access point (such as
a router that has an antenna), then the laptop can be configured to connect
to your network wirelessly, in which case it would be just like any other
computer on the LAN. If you don't have a wireless access on your home
network then the laptop can't connect to your network that way anyway.
http://www.lulu.com/billsey