From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Although I haven't tried it yet I am pretty sure it is possible but not all
features will be supported. Did you get an error? If so what was the error?

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: John Bell on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 18:55:22 +1000, Patrick
<Patrick(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
>machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
>successful.
>
>I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
>database via previous release client ? I have started SQL Browser and
>enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?
>
>Thanks

Hi Patrick

You don't say what the error is! Have you tried SQLCMD that should
rule out if there are protocol/netowkr issues.

John
From: John Bell on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:52:32 +1000, Patrick
<Patrick(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Dear John and Andrew,
>
>Thanks for your advice.
>
>I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on a Windows 7 machine.
>However, I check the system requirement and find that Windows 7 doesn't
>support it.
>
>In this way, I install it on a Windows 2003 Server. I am able to
>connect it via Management Studio from other machines.
>
>Regards,
>Patrick
>

>On 13/05/2010 12:33 AM, John Bell wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010 18:55:22 +1000, Patrick
>> <Patrick(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
>>> machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
>>> successful.
>>>
>>> I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
>>> database via previous release client ? I have started SQL Browser and
>>> enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>

>> Hi Patrick
>>
>> You don't say what the error is! Have you tried SQLCMD that should
>> rule out if there are protocol/netowkr issues.
>>
>> John

You haven't told us the exact error. Did you try SQLCMD? Have you
checked there isn;t a firewall blocking the ports being used
?
John
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Patrick (Patrick(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I cannot recall the exact wording but it says cannot connect to the SQL
> Server Instance as it is not reachable and ask me to make sure that Name
> Pipe protocol to be opened.
>
> Before checking the system requirement, I also guess whether it is a
> Firewall Problem. I have disabled Firewall but still cannot get through.

Make it a habit of always including the exact error message when posting
questions. That helps enormously.

It is not clear from your postings what you configuration is. Do you have
SSMS and SQL Server on the same machine or different?

In the latter case, have ensured in SQL Server Configuration Manager that
TCP/IP is enabled for the server? Keep in mind that if you enable it, you
also need to restart SQL Server.

Is the server a default instance or a named instance? How do you connect?

I don't want to be scornful, but so far your question is a bit like "My
vehicle won't start, why?", without telling us whether your vehicle is
a car, a truck, a moped, a bicycle or something else.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: