From: MowGreen on
richard wrote:

> I am using XP SP3, 32-bit. My anti-virus program is Microsoft Forefront
> Security Client. My firewall is the free Zone Alarm. My anti-spyware
> apps are Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes.
>
> The problem surfaced after I upgraded from IE6 to IE8. With IE6 I could
> always access WU via the Control Panel. Now I can access it only via IE8
> and select Update from the Tools menu.
>
> Microsoft Forefront was running when I updated to IE8.
>
> And I have now added to the Trusted Sites http://update.microsoft.com
> --but still no joy.

*Please specify exactly* what you use to do in Control Panel to access
Windows Update, Richard.

Can you access Windows Update from the link on the Start Menu ?

FWIW, XP can be manually updated via the Start Menu link as that opens
IE to the WU site.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Are you sure the computer doesn't update via WSUS (seeing as Forefront's
installed)?

What AV app was installed before Forefront? Was a Norton or McAfee free
trial preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? Which was installed
first, IE8 or SP3?

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"richard" <rmk(a)wonderland.net> wrote in message

> New info: I discovered that if I go to Control Panel and then to
> Security--in the column on the left side of the screen there is an option
> to get updates--that works!

> BUT, when I first call up the Control Panel, there is a column on the left
> side of the screen that includes under See Also: Windows Update. That is
> the one that does not work and which gets me the message that I quoted in
> my earlier post. And that is the one that used to work in the past.
> So, I have no idea why that one works no longer or why the one in the
> Security screen does. Baffling.

Use Fiddler2 and ProcMon to find out. My guess is that one is so obsolete
that there is no longer a redirect for it (e.g. assuming the symptom is
caused by a problem with HTTP); otherwise ProcMon could show you what
program and command line is being used in each case. FWIW I'm not on XP
now but IIRC there is a stub program which initiates a session with the WU
site which initially is not IE. Remember that when XP first came out we
didn't even have WUv4.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---