From: Jim Bullington on
I am unable to connect to a MySQL Version 5.0 database using the MySQL Connector/ODBC v5 driver. I am using the following connection string (with VB6/ADO - no DSN):

Driver={MySQL Connector/ODBC v5};Server=server;Database=mydb;Uid=dbuser;Pwd=dbpass;Option=3;

Returns the following error:

[MySQL][MyODBC 5.00.10][MySQL] 1045 Access denied for user 'dbuser(a)localhost' (using password: YES) Database: server, mydb

This is a remote server, should the @localhost be there?

The following connection string (MyODBC 3.51) to the same database works fine:

Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};Server=server;Database=mydb;User=dbuser;Password=dbpass;Option=3;

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JIMB

From: Shawn Green on
Hi Jim,

Jim Bullington wrote:
> I am unable to connect to a MySQL Version 5.0 database using the MySQL Connector/ODBC v5 driver. I am using the following connection string (with VB6/ADO - no DSN):
>
> Driver={MySQL Connector/ODBC v5};Server=server;Database=mydb;Uid=dbuser;Pwd=dbpass;Option=3;
>
> Returns the following error:
>
> [MySQL][MyODBC 5.00.10][MySQL] 1045 Access denied for user 'dbuser(a)localhost' (using password: YES) Database: server, mydb
>
> This is a remote server, should the @localhost be there?
>
> The following connection string (MyODBC 3.51) to the same database works fine:
>
> Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};Server=server;Database=mydb;User=dbuser;Password=dbpass;Option=3;
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> JIMB

The server you are connecting to believes that your connection attempt
is coming from the same machine that is hosting the server. That is the
source of the "@localhost" portion of the login account that you are
seeing in your error message.

Are you using some kind of network tunnel (like VPN or SSH) to make a
connection from your code machine (where the ODBC driver is) and your
database server? That would be my best guess at why a server on a
machine other than your own might believe you are attempting a local
connection.

--
Shawn Green, Support Engineer
MySQL Inc., USA, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified? www.mysql.com/certification

From: "Jim Bullington" on
Thanks for your response, Shawn.

The MySQL server is actually on the same physical network as my machine. No
SSH or VPN.

I still haven't figured this out...

JIMB

From: "Ron Alexander" on
This is the site I will use for connections strings. I have yet to not
be able to find what I need or at least find one that I can manipulate
to meet my needs.=20

http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=3Dmysql

Good luck.

Ron

The MySQL server is actually on the same physical network as my machine.
No=20

"Shawn Green" <shawn(a)mysql.com> wrote in message=20
> Hi Jim,
>
> Jim Bullington wrote:
>> I am unable to connect to a MySQL Version 5.0 database using the
MySQL=20
>> Connector/ODBC v5 driver. I am using the following connection string

>> (with VB6/ADO - no DSN):
>>
>> Driver=3D{MySQL Connector/ODBC=20
>> =
v5};Server=3Dserver;Database=3Dmydb;Uid=3Ddbuser;Pwd=3Ddbpass;Option=3D3;=

>> Returns the following error:
>>
>> [MySQL][MyODBC 5.00.10][MySQL] 1045 Access denied for user=20
>> 'dbuser(a)localhost' (using password: YES) Database: server, mydb
>>
>> This is a remote server, should the @localhost be there?
>>
>> The following connection string (MyODBC 3.51) to the same database
works=20
>> fine:
>>
>> Driver=3D{MySQL ODBC 3.51=20

Driver};Server=3Dserver;Database=3Dmydb;User=3Ddbuser;Password=3Ddbpass;O=
ption=3D3
;

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> JIMB
>>

> The server you are connecting to believes that your connection attempt
is=20
> coming from the same machine that is hosting the server. That is the=20
> source of the "@localhost" portion of the login account that you are=20
> seeing in your error message.
>
> Are you using some kind of network tunnel (like VPN or SSH) to make a=20
> connection from your code machine (where the ODBC driver is) and your=20
> database server? That would be my best guess at why a server on a
machine=20
> other than your own might believe you are attempting a local
connection.

> --=20
> Shawn Green, Support Engineer
> MySQL Inc., USA, www.mysql.com
> Office: Blountville, TN
>
> Are you MySQL certified? www.mysql.com/certification
>=20

--=20
MySQL ODBC Mailing List
For list archives: http://lists.mysql.com/myodbc
To unsubscribe:
http://lists.mysql.com/myodbc?unsub=3Dralexander(a)csmresearch.com

From: "Lawson Cronlund" on
Jim,

I don't know why the ODBC 3.51 works. I suspect that you don't have the
permissions set up for the userid (dbuser) to access the database from a
remote machine. The definition of the dbuser in the MySQL security area
probably specifies a local user only.

The error you're getting indicates that the communication to the server was
completed so there should be no issue with link level encryption such as VPN
or SSH.

MySQL needs to know what permissions are given to a user when entering from
a remote location - as opposed to the local machine. 'dbuser'@'localhost'
can have different permissions than 'dbuser'@'othermachinename'.

If you assign permissions to 'dbuser'@'%' (wildcard for login source)
instead of 'dbuser' or 'dbuser'@'localhost' you'll get the same results both
locally and remotely.

If you use the wildcard format, you should make sure that the only
permissions you assign to dbuser are those you're willing to have a remote
user have when accessing the database.

Lawson Cronlund
lawson(a)vrtinc.com
+1(480)308-0641 (voice)
+1(602)996-0376 (fax)

The MySQL server is actually on the same physical network as my machine. No

SSH or VPN.

I still haven't figured this out...

JIMB

"Shawn Green" <shawn(a)mysql.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
>
> Jim Bullington wrote:
>> I am unable to connect to a MySQL Version 5.0 database using the MySQL
>> Connector/ODBC v5 driver. I am using the following connection string
>> (with VB6/ADO - no DSN):
>>
>> Driver={MySQL Connector/ODBC
>> v5};Server=server;Database=mydb;Uid=dbuser;Pwd=dbpass;Option=3;
>>
>> Returns the following error:
>>
>> [MySQL][MyODBC 5.00.10][MySQL] 1045 Access denied for user
>> 'dbuser(a)localhost' (using password: YES) Database: server, mydb
>>
>> This is a remote server, should the @localhost be there?
>>
>> The following connection string (MyODBC 3.51) to the same database works
>> fine:
>>
>> Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51
>> Driver};Server=server;Database=mydb;User=dbuser;Password=dbpass;Option=3;
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> JIMB
>>

> The server you are connecting to believes that your connection attempt is
> coming from the same machine that is hosting the server. That is the
> source of the "@localhost" portion of the login account that you are
> seeing in your error message.
>
> Are you using some kind of network tunnel (like VPN or SSH) to make a
> connection from your code machine (where the ODBC driver is) and your
> database server? That would be my best guess at why a server on a machine
> other than your own might believe you are attempting a local connection.
>
> --
> Shawn Green, Support Engineer
> MySQL Inc., USA, www.mysql.com
> Office: Blountville, TN
>
> Are you MySQL certified? www.mysql.com/certification

Pages: 1
Next: MySQL Query Schema - Save a schema