From: Jon Harrop on
The Graph Utilities docs have some nice examples but many of them do not run
in my copy of Mathematica 7.0.1 (Windows), giving errors like the following when
trying to load example data:

FetchURL::nofile: File
C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Temp\mAC72.tmp\can___61.mtx.gz cannot be opened.

Am I doing something wrong or does this simply not work?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com

From: Bill Rowe on
On 7/30/10 at 6:55 AM, usenet(a)ffconsultancy.com (Jon Harrop) wrote:

>The Graph Utilities docs have some nice examples but many of them do
>not run in my copy of Mathematica 7.0.1 (Windows), giving errors
>like the following when trying to load example data:

>FetchURL::nofile: File
>C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Temp\mAC72.tmp\can___61.mtx.gz cannot be
>opened.

>Am I doing something wrong or does this simply not work?

How do you expect anyone to determine whether you are doing
something wrong when you didn't say what you were doing? You
really do need to post the code that resulted in the error
message if you want intelligent answers.

From: Jon Harrop on
"Bill Rowe" <readnews(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On 7/30/10 at 6:55 AM, usenet(a)ffconsultancy.com (Jon Harrop) wrote:
>
>>The Graph Utilities docs have some nice examples but many of them do
>>not run in my copy of Mathematica 7.0.1 (Windows), giving errors
>>like the following when trying to load example data:
>
>>FetchURL::nofile: File
>>C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Temp\mAC72.tmp\can___61.mtx.gz cannot be
>>opened.
>
>>Am I doing something wrong or does this simply not work?
>
> How do you expect anyone to determine whether you are doing
> something wrong when you didn't say what you were doing? You
> really do need to post the code that resulted in the error
> message if you want intelligent answers.

Good point. The following code from the docs fails in the same way:

ExampleData[{"Matrix", "CAN 292"}]

Cheers,
Jon.

From: Bill Rowe on
On 8/1/10 at 4:56 AM, usenet(a)ffconsultancy.com (Jon Harrop) wrote:

>"Bill Rowe" <readnews(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>On 7/30/10 at 6:55 AM, usenet(a)ffconsultancy.com (Jon Harrop) wrote:

>>>The Graph Utilities docs have some nice examples but many of them
>>>do not run in my copy of Mathematica 7.0.1 (Windows), giving
>>>errors like the following when trying to load example data:

>>>FetchURL::nofile: File
>>>C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Temp\mAC72.tmp\can___61.mtx.gz cannot
>>>be opened.

>>>Am I doing something wrong or does this simply not work?

>>How do you expect anyone to determine whether you are doing
>>something wrong when you didn't say what you were doing? You really
>>do need to post the code that resulted in the error message if you
>>want intelligent answers.

>Good point. The following code from the docs fails in the same way:

>ExampleData[{"Matrix", "CAN 292"}]

There appears to be an issue with the Matrix class of example
data. I am able to load the first example data set as follows:

ExampleData[ExampleData[class][[1]]

where class is one of

{"AerialImage","Geometry3D","LinearProgramming","Sound","Statistics","TestA=
nimation","TestImage","Text","Texture"}

But this fails when class is "Matrix" with the error message you
indicated. And since "Matrix" is one of the classes returned by doing

ExampleData[]

I see no reason for this to fail.

And FWIW, I see this using

In[1]:= $Version

Out[1]= 7.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 19, 2009)

on Mac OS 10.6.4

From: Alexey on
On 1 =D0=B0=D0=B2=D0=B3, 12:57, "Jon Harrop" <use...(a)ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> "Bill Rowe" <readn...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > On 7/30/10 at 6:55 AM, use...(a)ffconsultancy.com (Jon Harrop) wrote:
>
> >>The Graph Utilities docs have some nice examples but many of them do
> >>not run in my copy of Mathematica 7.0.1 (Windows), giving errors
> >>like the following when trying to load example data:
>
> >>FetchURL::nofile: File
> >>C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Local\Temp\mAC72.tmp\can___61.mtx.gz cannot be
> >>opened.
>
> >>Am I doing something wrong or does this simply not work?
>
> > How do you expect anyone to determine whether you are doing
> > something wrong when you didn't say what you were doing? You
> > really do need to post the code that resulted in the error
> > message if you want intelligent answers.
>
> Good point. The following code from the docs fails in the same way:
>
> =C2 ExampleData[{"Matrix", "CAN =C2 292"}]
>
> Cheers,
> Jon.

Hello, I confirm this on Windows 2000 with Mathematica 6.0.3:

In[1]:= ExampleData[{"Matrix", "CAN 292"}]

During evaluation of In[1]:= FetchURL::nofile: File C:\Documents and \
Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\000002a01604\can__292.mtx.gz cannot
\
be opened.

Out[1]= $Failed