From: Graham on
On Aug 5, 11:48 am, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> Graham wrote:
> > Running  winxp-pro , sata hard drives with  intel ahci
>
> > Ok   So  go to disk  properties ....... error  checking .. select
> > auto  fix ... error  message  ' needs  to  run at re-start.
>
> > re-boot   and chkdsk  reports   ntfs file system, cannot access
> > volume , fails to  run and  boots into windows
>
> > Try with  window's running ...
>
> > by  -not- checking the  2 tic  boxes ..  chdsk runs  , reports  phase
> > 1
> > -  , then  phase 2 ..   then  reports  'cannot complete'  stops and
> > closes
>
> > QQQ  how to  run disk  utilities .. will  not  run in  re-boot
> > mode  .. or  directly  from  windows ???
> > is this caused by the  intel -sata  disk driver ??
>
> That means, you would have the SATA port in AHCI or RAID mode in
> the BIOS, you pressed F6 during the installation, and offered
> a floppy diskette with an Intel AHCI driver. So there should
> already be an AHCI driver present in your OS.
>
> But it also implies, if you ever need to access that disk, in
> an environment where the driver doesn't exist, you'd have to offer
> it again.
>
> The purpose of doing chkdsk when Windows boots, is to be able
> to grab the C: file system, before any of the files are made "busy"
> by opening them. The system has a registry key called BootExecute,
> that contains a string to run at that time. Any utility that
> wants to "sandwich" itself into that sequence, can modify the string.
> By default, the value would be "autocheck autochk *", which is a way
> of determining whether any partition needs a check or not.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
>     BootExecute  REG_MULTI_SZ      autocheck autochk *
>
> http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/chkdsk-and-autochk.htm
>
> Now, if some piece of software got to run, before autocheck,
> then perhaps that is why it is failing.
>
> In terms of repairing a problem like this, I've copied all the
> files off a file system, reformatted the partition, and copied
> the files back, and that seemed to solve an inability to complete
> chkdsk. Doing that for C: is more difficult, because you'll
> need to use the Recovery Console and use fixboot to put the
> partition boot sector back on the partition, after the format
> and copy step. If you just moved all the files off the partition,
> then moved them back, maybe the problem would correct itself. At
> the time I did mine, I figured formatting the partition was
> the way to go.
>
> Some more attempts here, to fix "Cannot open volume for direct access".
> There are a few ideas in here worth trying.
>
> http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic3724.html
>
>     "I uninstalled Spyware Doctor 3.5 and CHKDSK started to run properly."
>
> HTH,
>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

Paul ...

That means, you would have the SATA port in AHCI or RAID mode in
the BIOS, you pressed F6 during the installation, and offered
a floppy diskette with an Intel AHCI driver. So there should
already be an AHCI driver present in your OS.

Q what should I be seeing in the device manager ?

When I access the Device manger , > Disc drives > sata wdc

click on drive

Driver > Microsoft 01/07/2001 5.1.2535.0

Is this right ..or should this actually show the intel driver ?

IDE /ATA /TATPI

This has > Intel 03/03/2010 9.6.0.1014

Is it possible the sata driver is NOT installed correctly ,as the
disk driver is showing 'microsoft 2001' ??

The motherboard bios is set to AHCI

Tnx - G ..
From: Graham on
On Aug 7, 2:33 pm, Graham <g0...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> >     "I uninstalled Spyware Doctor 3.5 and CHKDSK started to run properly."
>
> > HTH,
> >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

> Paul ...
>
> That means, you would have the SATA port in AHCI or RAID mode in
> the BIOS, you pressed F6 during the installation, and offered
> a floppy diskette with an Intel AHCI driver. So there should
> already be an AHCI driver present in your OS.
>
> Q what  should I be seeing in the  device manager ?
>
> When I access the  Device manger , > Disc drives > sata wdc
>
> click on drive
>
> Driver > Microsoft  01/07/2001 5.1.2535.0
>
> Is this  right  ..or should this  actually  show  the  intel  driver ?
>
> IDE /ATA /TATPI
>
> This   has > Intel  03/03/2010  9.6.0.1014
>
> Is it possible the  sata  driver is  NOT  installed correctly ,as the
> disk  driver is showing   'microsoft 2001' ??

Just ran this tool >>>

> http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm?iid=dc_spotlight_home1
> (Run that to find the latest versions of Intel drivers for your system.)

This tool did -NOT- find any intel Disk driver listed in the
pc

is this looking like the install process was botched and I am
running some kind
of miss match ??

Tnx- G.

From: Graham on
> [...]
> chkdsk. Doing that for C: is more difficult, because you'll
> need to use the Recovery Console and use fixboot to put the
> partition boot sector back on the partition, after the format
> and copy step. If you just moved all the files off the partition,
> then moved them back, maybe the problem would correct itself. At
> the time I did mine, I figured formatting the partition was
> the way to go.
>
> Some more attempts here, to fix "Cannot open volume for direct access".
> There are a few ideas in here worth trying.
>
> http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic3724.html
>
>     "I uninstalled Spyware Doctor 3.5 and CHKDSK started to run properly."
>
> HTH,
>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
> BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ autocheck autochk *

This is the listing of the above key ........... what is the /r \??
\C ?
should that be in the key ?

autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

Tnx - G .

From: Paul on
Graham wrote:
> [...]
>> need to use the Recovery Console and use fixboot to put the
>> partition boot sector back on the partition, after the format
>> and copy step. If you just moved all the files off the partition,
>> then moved them back, maybe the problem would correct itself. At
>> the time I did mine, I figured formatting the partition was
>> the way to go.
>>
>> Some more attempts here, to fix "Cannot open volume for direct access".
>> There are a few ideas in here worth trying.
>>
>> http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic3724.html
>>
>> "I uninstalled Spyware Doctor 3.5 and CHKDSK started to run properly."
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
>> BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ autocheck autochk *
>
> This is the listing of the above key ........... what is the /r \??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160963

"chkdsk c: /f /r adds the following entry to the BootExecute value:

autocheck autochk /r \??\C: "

So that registry entry is specifying the running of disk checking program
with a particular set of options. It is a way of scheduling the execution
at startup time.

Paul
From: Graham on
On Aug 7, 3:48 pm, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> Graham wrote:
> >> That means, you would have the SATA port in AHCI or RAID mode in
> >> the BIOS, you pressed F6 during the installation, and offered
> >> a floppy diskette with an Intel AHCI driver. So there should
> >> already be an AHCI driver present in your OS.
>
> >> But it also implies, if you ever need to access that disk, in
> >> an environment where the driver doesn't exist, you'd have to offer
> >> it again.
>
> >> The purpose of doing chkdsk when Windows boots, is to be able
> >> to grab the C: file system, before any of the files are made "busy"
> >> by opening them. The system has a registry key called BootExecute,
> >> that contains a string to run at that time. Any utility that
> >> wants to "sandwich" itself into that sequence, can modify the string.
> >> By default, the value would be "autocheck autochk *", which is a way
> >> of determining whether any partition needs a check or not.
>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
> >>     BootExecute  REG_MULTI_SZ      autocheck autochk *
>
> >>http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/chkdsk-and-autochk.htm
>
> >> Now, if some piece of software got to run, before autocheck,
> >> then perhaps that is why it is failing.
>
> >> In terms of repairing a problem like this, I've copied all the
> >> files off a file system, reformatted the partition, and copied
> >> the files back, and that seemed to solve an inability to complete
> >> chkdsk. Doing that for C: is more difficult, because you'll
> >> need to use the Recovery Console and use fixboot to put the
> >> partition boot sector back on the partition, after the format
> >> and copy step. If you just moved all the files off the partition,
> >> then moved them back, maybe the problem would correct itself. At
> >> the time I did mine, I figured formatting the partition was
> >> the way to go.
>
> >> Some more attempts here, to fix "Cannot open volume for direct access"..
> >> There are a few ideas in here worth trying.
>
> >>http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic3724.html
>
> >>     "I uninstalled Spyware Doctor 3.5 and CHKDSK started to run properly."
>
> >> HTH,
> >>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

> >  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
> >>     BootExecute  REG_MULTI_SZ      autocheck autochk *
>
> > This is the  listing  of the above key ........... what is the  /r \??
> > \C      ?
> > should that  be in the  key ?
>
> > autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
> > autocheck autochk *
>
> > Tnx - G .
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160963
>
>    "chkdsk c: /f /r  adds the following entry to the BootExecute value:
>
>     autocheck autochk /r \??\C:   "
>
> So that registry entry is specifying the running of disk checking program
> with a particular set of options. It is a way of scheduling the execution
> at startup time.
>
>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

Ok Paul

So that is normal for a on boot check of the disk .... its at
this point thta the system reports 'cannot open volume'

(nb is I run the avast on boot virus check, that starts and
checkes the disk normally ... that starts 'after' the windows chk
has failed)

If I remove the autocheck autochk /r \??\C: " ....... assume this
will stop the check at boot up (not fix the problem, just
remove the step)

Have you any thoughts on the driver shown in control
panel ....may be I do not actually have the driver loaded .. but
it must be reading the disk for windows to attempt to exicute
the boot copmmands ?

Looking at the device listing , the first item is :-

I have acronis disk backup installed .. acronis true image backup
archive explorer
listed twice .. could that cause this disk lock out ?

G ,