From: batgirl on
I have a SQL Server 2005 instance installed. I have created databases and
schema on the SQL Server. I cannot start the service for the SQL Server. I
ahve tried using every account possible. It always errors out with the
following message:

initerrlog: Could not open error log file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 5(Access is
denied.).

The event ID in the application log is 17058.
Also the following error message appears in the system log

The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated with service-specific error
17058 (0x42A2).
Please help, there is not a lot of information out there on this issue
Thanks

From: Tibor Karaszi on
The error message is pretty straight forward. Does the SQL Server service account have permissions
on that folder? Did you change the service account after installation. Changing service account
should only be done using the "SQL Server Configuration Manager" applet.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: batgirl on
The SQL Service acoount does have permissions on that folder. The service
account was not changed. The SQL Server was working fine. It was down for a
couple of days and then the service started giving this errors.
--
batgirl

From: Tibor Karaszi on
Though, this means the error doesn't reflect reality. How about if you log on to the machine
interactively and try to access that folder? And add, read etc to a file in the directory...

From: batgirl on
I have already tried that, it did not help. The only thing that has changed
on the machine is it's IP address. It is a test machine, I was going to
uninstall and reinstall SQL 2005 but it will not even let me uninstall. I
have no idea what to do next
Thanks
--
batgirl