From: Tom Pamin on
I have a Canon MP780 that I have installed on my wireless network so all
3 of my PC's can use it. But my main PC has to be on for the printer to
be used by the other 2 PC's. Can I use a USB to ethernet cable to my
router and install this printer as a network printer? Then I could use
it with all 3 PC's and not have to have the main one on all the time.
From: Etaoin Shrdlu on
On 4/10/2010 5:57 AM, Tom Pamin wrote:
> I have a Canon MP780 that I have installed on my wireless network so all
> 3 of my PC's can use it. But my main PC has to be on for the printer to
> be used by the other 2 PC's. Can I use a USB to ethernet cable to my
> router and install this printer as a network printer? Then I could use
> it with all 3 PC's and not have to have the main one on all the time.

No. Network printers have their own ethernet or wireless cards.
From: dg1261 on
Tom Pamin <scnrfrq(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in news:#3rfvyJ2KHA.1392
@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

> I have a Canon MP780 that I have installed on my wireless network
> all 3 of my PC's can use it. But my main PC has to be on for the
> printer to be used by the other 2 PC's. Can I use a USB to
> ethernet cable to my router and install this printer as a network
> printer? Then I could use it with all 3 PC's and not have to have
> the main one on all the time.

If you mean a simple usb-to-ethernet adapter, that won't work.

There are small print servers that are made to connect parallel or usb
printers directly to a home network, but how well they work varies from
one printer model to another. Laser printers almost always work, but
inkjet compatibility is less universal. IMHE, there seems to be an
inverse correlation with the complexity of those darn "control center"
apps they insist on sticking in the system tray. The fancier the app,
the less likely it is to be compatible with a third-party print server.

Your MP is a multifunction, so it's more than just a printer. Even if it
turns out to be able to print via a print server, the chances are slim
that the scanning function will work. Usually you can only get basic
printing working--no scanning, no faxing, no inkjet-level status, etc.

From: Tom Pamin on
dg1261 wrote:
> Tom Pamin <scnrfrq(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in news:#3rfvyJ2KHA.1392
> @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:
>
>> I have a Canon MP780 that I have installed on my wireless network
>> all 3 of my PC's can use it. But my main PC has to be on for the
>> printer to be used by the other 2 PC's. Can I use a USB to
>> ethernet cable to my router and install this printer as a network
>> printer? Then I could use it with all 3 PC's and not have to have
>> the main one on all the time.
>

> If you mean a simple usb-to-ethernet adapter, that won't work.
>
> There are small print servers that are made to connect parallel or usb
> printers directly to a home network, but how well they work varies from
> one printer model to another. Laser printers almost always work, but
> inkjet compatibility is less universal. IMHE, there seems to be an
> inverse correlation with the complexity of those darn "control center"
> apps they insist on sticking in the system tray. The fancier the app,
> the less likely it is to be compatible with a third-party print server.
>
> Your MP is a multifunction, so it's more than just a printer. Even if it
> turns out to be able to print via a print server, the chances are slim
> that the scanning function will work. Usually you can only get basic
> printing working--no scanning, no faxing, no inkjet-level status, etc.

Yes, I was speaking about the simple adapter. Too good to be true I
guess. Can you tell me where to look for a print server that might work?
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 11, 3:10 am, Tom Pamin <scnr...(a)roadrunner.com> wrote:
> dg1261 wrote:
> > Tom Pamin <scnr...(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in news:#3rfvyJ2KHA.1392
> > @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:
>
> >> I have a Canon MP780 that I have installed on my wireless network
> >> all 3 of my PC's can use it. But my main PC has to be on for the
> >> printer to be used by the other 2 PC's. Can I use a USB to
> >> ethernet cable to my router and install this printer as a network
> >> printer? Then I could use it with all 3 PC's and not have to have
> >> the main one on all the time.
>
> > If you mean a simple usb-to-ethernet adapter, that won't work.
>
> > There are small print servers that are made to connect parallel or usb
> > printers directly to a home network, but how well they work varies from
> > one printer model to another.  Laser printers almost always work, but
> > inkjet compatibility is less universal.  IMHE, there seems to be an
> > inverse correlation with the complexity of those darn "control center"
> > apps they insist on sticking in the system tray.  The fancier the app,
> > the less likely it is to be compatible with a third-party print server.
>
> > Your MP is a multifunction, so it's more than just a printer.  Even if it
> > turns out to be able to print via a print server, the chances are slim
> > that the scanning function will work.  Usually you can only get basic
> > printing working--no scanning, no faxing, no inkjet-level status, etc.
>
> Yes, I was speaking about the simple adapter. Too good to be true I
> guess. Can you tell me where to look for a print server that might work?

You need to know that if the printer does not offer a network
connection / print server built-in or if Canon does not offer one as
an option, most third part print server will only let the printer work
as a printer only. You can try:

http://www.startech.com/item/PM1115U-10-100-Mbps-USB-Print-Server.aspx

Pages: 1
Prev: Intermittent display