From: r_z_aret on
First, these two groups are primarily for folks using Pocket PCs, not
Handheld PCs. You might have more luck in microsoft.public.handheldpc.
More below (in line).

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:44:00 -0500, gmdurrence(a)bellsouth.net wrote:

>I am trying to establish a WI-FI connection from my hitachi HPW-600ET
>handheld PC (HPC) to my home network. I am using an Orinoco Gold card
>and my computer is running Windows CE 2.11. My HPC sees the card and
>the card sees my network but it won't establish a connection because
>my network requires a password and I don't know how to get the HPC to
>send it one. The network setup wizard has a place to enter a user id
>and password. I have tried using a blank user id and the proper
>password but it doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Your network almost certainly requires a password because it is using
encryption. That means you need to use the same encryption type on the
network and on the card in your HPC. And that means knowing which
kind(s) your are using. Given the age of your HPC, I'm pretty sure it
and the card in it support only WEP. But your network is probably
newer and using WPA. That won't work. If you control the network, you
_could_ switch it to WEP, but that would be less secure. And probably
pointless anyway (see next paragraph).

> Also if
>it is not possible to establish a full internet connection how could I
>establish an Activesync session with my desktop PC using the wireless
>card?

You can't establish an ActiveSync connection via Ethernet (wired or
wireless) until you first establish a partnership while connected via
serial comm or USB (if it is supported on your HPC). And you can't use
Ethernet without an ActiveSync connection.

Side issue: be very careful with the power plug that goes into your
HPC. It is very thin, and thus easily broken. Somewhat easy to fix if
you're handy with wiring. If you're not, replacing the whole adapter
can be pricey ($100 U.S.)

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400